Mom

It was afternoon and Dad had not yet returned. I knew the next time I saw him, Mom would be present. She'd wake up today, I was sure. Alice's vision showed me so. Between now and sunset, Mom would get to properly meet her daughters. Her eyes would be a piercing red, close to the color of dark blood. Only two days had passed, nearly three if she was to gain consciousness later in the afternoon. I started to miss Mom more with every hour that passed by.

I missed her soothing voice, the timbre soft and lower than Alice's singsong, her comforting words filled with affection and care, and the way she rubbed her stomach when she was pregnant with us. Our first meeting was so brief and dire. She almost died if it hadn't been for Dad's venom. Because of the morphine, she had been scarily still, comparable to a corpse. Slowly, her body had been transforming into a strong, porcelain-like material. I could hear her organs changing to a molecular level from Dad's memory along with the gradual rise in speed of her heart. He had been holding onto hope, as we all were.

After I ate a steaming bowl of golden broth made by Nana, a younger guy in his adolescence introduced himself. He was friendly and had a similar wet dog smell to Jake's. His face was captured by an enormous smile, dimples forming as he spoke animatedly of his friendship with Jake. This new boy viewed him as a role model, a young man like him to follow in his footsteps, to set an example for standing up for what's right. There was a hint of a grudge towards the pack they used to be a part of, though I caught it in passing.

Jake shook his head, "Seth, calm down. You'll wake Nessie up." It was the first time I heard someone call my sister a nickname similar to the one I had for her. It wasn't too bad, though I preferred calling her Ness. Her given name, Renesme, was too unique, even if it reflected the uniqueness of our upbringing. If she hadn't been as charmingly sweet, I imagined the humans would have made fun of her for it.

Seth had an older sister, a young woman with dark, jaw-length hair called Leah who kept her distance from us "blood suckers," as some of them called people of my family's race. As natural enemies, it made sense they disliked each other. Both races were supernatural, hidden away from the common race of humans, both for safety of humans and for the protection of the "unnatural." Both were unpredictable and deadly, and would have been viewed as freaks to the majority of the human race. 

I realized then, that my idea of normal differed greatly from humans and vampires alike. I was neither and both simultaneously. At the very least, I had my twin sister to depend on to understand me. I knew for a fact I was not alone in this. Unlike all of the vampires and shapeshifters in the world, we were a part of this world from the moment we existed.

Everyone was gathered together, excluding Mom and Dad of course, in the shared living space near the kitchen. The adults were discussing the hypothetical possibility of what a witch would be like in reality. The closest thing to known real life witches were the spiritual pagans that identified themselves as such, but were there individuals that had the significance of the supernatural they were all familiar with? Pop-Pop didn't mention it aloud, but he briefly wondered where the Quileute tribe's supernatural bloodline stemmed from.