Chapter 2 - Tasks

It was October, with the autumn breeze flying all over the place. With the leaves having changed from green to a variety of colors, like red, orange, and brown. People were walking around wearing more light, but warm clothes in order to fight off the slight cold that was coming in from time to time.

As the afternoon kept playing like a record, the breeze had gently brushed through two figures, both sharing a scarf as they held one another's hands as they were walking. The two were taking a stroll along a path that led to a park. The taller figure looked down at the person next to them, admiring the way they looked. They looked so content, so peaceful. However, there was something else that laid hidden in their face, something that the tall figure was oblivious to. Something that would be revealed in due time.

The tall figure could smell the shorter figure's perfume, noting that it was cinnamon with a hint of vanilla to it. Both smells that the taller figure found peace and comfort in, wanting nothing more than to have the aroma stay fresh in their mind. They wanted their partner to stay fresh in their mind forever, never wanting to forget them.

As the two continued to walk, the shorter figure pointed to a bench, saying that they wanted to sit and give their legs a break. The taller figure agreed and the two sat down, with the taller figure taking off the guitar case on his back first. The taller figure brought his guitar in case the shorter figure wanted them to play something, as well as to some distraction from the thoughts plaguing their mind.

Leaning the case against the bench, the taller one slyly wraps an arm around the shorter figure's shoulder, pulling them closer to their body. The shorter figure let a small, pleased hum as they leaned their head on the taller figure's shoulder. The taller felt their face heat up a bit at the action, welcoming it very quickly.

As the two snuggled together for a while, the shorter figure soon requested the taller to play a song, to which the taller eagerly obliged. Removing the scarf around their neck and fixing it around their partner's, the guitarist pulled out their instrument from its case, tuning it before soft, familiar melodies started to flood the air. Creating a pleasant and romantic atmosphere between the two.

With each cord struck by gentle, quick fingers, the shorter figure started to hum to the melodies being played, knowing the taller one was playing their favorite song. Soon, they started to sing the song together, both in sync. The shorter figure was radiant, her voice like a symphony. The taller figure's voice was smooth, but soft. As the song concluded, the taller struck the final chord as the shorter sung the last word, holding the note a bit.

"You sounded like an angel, Manon."

"Thank you, Rody." Manon smiled sweetly at Rody, while the latter smiled at her with so much adoration. "And thank you for playing your guitar. It was lovely."

"Anything for you, mon amour."

Rody lets out a long yawn as sat up, stretching his limbs until he hears a pop sound. He rubbed his eyes as he looked around. He was still on his couch, with him not being drenched in sweat, something that hasn't happened in years. Rody looked over at his watch that was placed on the table, noticing that the time was 7 in the morning. Rody's eyes shot wide open, shocked.

I slept until 7?! That's new. But. . .how? I never sleep through the whole night anymore. Rody wondered, trying to wrap his head around this discovery. He hardly, if not, slept through the night without having at least one nightmare. Rody was both pleased, but extremely confused.

Rody hesitantly brushed it off as he got off his couch, his body jumping once he processed that it was 6 and he was late for work. Quickly taking off his sweatpants, he quickly changed into his work uniform, silently cursing at the corset as he struggled to tie it in the back. Once he won, he quickly slipped his shoes on before grabbing his bike and heading outside. He rapidly started to pedal to work, silently praying that his boss wouldn't get mad at him for being late.