No One Ever Said It Would Be This Hard

Karmas point of view

The protest started off a lovely day. We left the house to Fordam Central in the early morning and the trees and the sky looked scenic. When the sun fully rose, we set up our signs and filed into the courtyard of one of the biggest government buildings in Fordam, that was once a mutant lab. Oxi led us off and we marched down the street, chanting and yelling. We definitely drew attention. Whoever wasn't aware of our existence definitely was after that.

I was really excited and so was Renna. We couldn't stop smiling and shaking each other around. We finally got recognition.
But then we heard this sudden CRACK!...
The sounds of bullets splitting the air.
Suddenly all of the experiments who once stood brave in a line took off running. Me and Renna hit a dead run, but I'm small, and fast.
I should've waited up for her, I regret that to this day. But rather than doing that I ran as fast as possible and I heard a shot taken near me, I looked back and saw Renna crumpled up on the floor. My soul nearly left my body,
"RENNA!" I yelled, running over to her and dragging her with all my strength. We got to a familiar alley and I propped Renna up,
"You're gonna be alright," I panted, "you gotta be..."
She shook her head at that and smiled.
"I love you Karr." She whispered.
I shook my head and said, "don't waste your breath," I tried to stem the bleeding by pressing against the wound but her weak hand ushered mine away. I looked at her, shaking my head, "no..." I begged
"Thank you for everything, Karma" she said, before going completely limp. I crumbled to my knees as I saw the life fade from her body. My vision started to blur as hot tears rolled down my face.

Then, I screamed the loudest I'd ever screamed. I'd never been so tortured, even in the horror trials. I started to wonder if it was all an allusion, what had just happened. Just another trial to get a reaction out of me.
I buried my face in my hands, knowing what I had to do. I picked up her lifeless body, and solemnly carried her body into the rose field where we'd eaten breakfast just a few days ago. I laid her down, sobbing. It started to become hard to breathe. As she hit the floor, flowers blossomed around her, growing around her body, and suddenly when the flower bush retracted she was gone.
I looked around and she was nowhere to be seen. I dropped to my knees and grabbed one of the flowers by its stem and punched the petals off of it.

I let go afterwards and looked down at my hand that had thorns stabbed into it. I stood up, stifling a sob with my lower lip quivering. I took off running. She was gone. She was really gone.
I ran down the pinkish-stained street, experimental blood splattered everywhere. I slipped, and immediately jumped back up in horror. I pulled off my blood stained protest shirt and flicked up the collar of my undershirt. I ran all the way back to the experimental house.
"Karma? Are you alright?" Oxi asked me.
"Sorry for leaving you behind" Jasper sighed, getting his leg healed.
I shook my head and ran up the stairs. I grabbed my stuff, picked the thorns out of my hand and wrapped it to stop the bleeding, and then booked it out of the house. I sprinted to the bus station, I was exhausted by then. I bought myself a bus ticket to Olismouth, a city hours away from Fordam. Looking back now I can't believe I left behind a free home and free food but, oh well. I found my seat on the bus and closed my eyes, pressing my head against the headrest. Suddenly I remembered the song that I had played for Renna the day prior.

I put on my headphones and played "the Scientist" by Coldplay on my phone.
The words took over any thought I had been thinking.
Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part
Nobody said it was easy
Nobody said it would be so hard
I'm going back to the start...
I closed my eyes and braced myself for whatever was coming next.I fell asleep after a few moments. I was standing on the side of the road. Suddenly, familiar faces started to march down the street. I knew what was going to happen so I tried to stop them. When doing that, they didn't stop. They trampled me and didn't even think twice. I jolted awake and checked the time. I had been asleep for about 2 hours. I was almost to the city.
I spent the next couple of hours on my phone. I tried my best not to think about Renna. When I reached my destination I had to figure out where I was going to go. I eventually came upon a motel. I paid for my room and got my keys, and then unpacked my stuff. My hand hurt so badly, it was hard to use it.
It was late, so I turned on the TV and fell asleep again. The next morning my entire body ached with hunger, but I didn't have the strength to pull myself out of bed. I just laid there and cried for hours because she wasn't there. I lost the one good thing I've ever had.

I hugged my pillow close to me. I checked my phone for a text from anybody. From Cole, Parker, My siblings, Bri, Jae, Draven. Nobody cared to check on me, nobody ever cared to check on me. They all forgot I existed. I knew then... they were all going to pay.