A Daughter to Father

Coles point of view

It was honestly a normal day at first. A little more boring too. Not a lot of people had come through the hair shop I run, which is weird because everyone in my town is constantly going through some kind of identity crisis. I just walked around the shop, ate lunch. Then Sparky, Grace and their daughter Bri came in. The shop bell rang and my ears perked up. I turned around and greeted them. Bri was their adopted daughter. She had the pinkish-red hair of her evil mother, Carlotta. Man, I remembered fighting Carlotta back when me and my little friend group were heroes. It was downright disastrous.

Anyways, She wanted me to dye it black for her, just like her adoptive dad's hair.
I was going to temporarily dye a loc and then show her before I continue so that I could see what she thinks, but she was so sure about her decision she kept her eyes closed.
Bri was about 8 or 9 but she was a very bright young lady. I looked back at Grace and Sparky for approval with a raised eyebrow.
Grace shrugged with a smile, and sparky nodded.

I started to dye her hair and washed and dried it. When I had finished she looked at her hair in awe and shock, then she looked back at me, Grace and Sparky.
"Well, what do you think?" I said with a chuckle.
"I love it so much!" She exclaimed. "Thank you Cole!" She grinned ear to ear. She hugged her parents tightly and squealed. "Thanks mom! Thanks dad!" She says. I watched from afar. I'd adopted myself a few times, though usually ending in misery. I had Ryme at the time, but for some reason there was a part of me that really wanted to actually raise a child rather than just provide shelter and food for a teenager who didn't accept my love in any way shape or form.
My smile started to fade. X, who had come in while I was doing Bri's hair to get her nails done asked me what's wrong.
"I don't know.. I've adopted all these kids but I've never had.." I gestured to Grace, Sparky, Bri and the love they shared as a family.
"That. I've never gotten to raise a kid." I sighed.

X thought for a second then looked up at me. "Have you ever met my younger sister, K.O?"
"Oh sure I have. She has red and black hair?"
"Yep! That's her alright."
"Aww she's so sweet" I said with a smile.
"Heh.. yeah.. She's not at our orphanage anymore, she got shipped off to the national orphanage in Fordam central. You could adopt her. She's only 8." X had said.
I nodded thoughtfully. "Huh.. that's an idea if I've ever heard one. I'll talk to my husband" I smiled. "Thank you, X."
"Anytime" she responded.
I walked over to the register to get Grace and Sparky's money for the hair, giving them a family discount. Then they left and I waited for the next customers.

The day ended as soon as I knew it. I drove home and when Parker got back home I told him about my day and about K.O. I asked him what he thought. He said, "huh, I dunno, do what you want babe."
"No love I mean what do you think." I said.
"I'm neutral" he shrugged.
"Can you at least give me some kind of answer."
He gave me a thumbs up and I rolled my eyes with a sigh. "Alright then, I'm gonna do it!" I exclaimed.
"Okay?" He said.
I groaned in frustration and facepalmed, my free hand placed on my hip.
"Have I mentioned how nice you look today-" he started but I threw a pillow at him and walked out. I decided I would take the day off the next day to go pick up K.O. When I saw her she looked tired and stressed but when her eyes met mine I saw her frown shift into a soft smile. I knew then that there was nothing I wouldn't do for this kid.

I didn't know the next few years would be some of the best and worst years of my life.
We went home and I got K.O settled in. When Parker saw her, he said "oh I didn't know you meant you would do it today"
"Oh so now you suddenly care?"
"I thought you were kidding! You know, 'April fools I don't actually want another kid'." He said.
"You have to be kidding me." I said annoyedly.
K.O seemed to feel bad, I could tell as she grabbed hold of my lower arm in a weak grip.
I looked down at her and I felt my tense gaze soften. At that point me adopting her wasn't because of my selfish desire to raise a kid of my own. It was then because I wanted to provide her the best possible life.