15.

Life was starting to get better. My grades were what most students would call 'outstanding', I lived in a nice place with one of my best friends in his basement with him, I had escaped my parents. Sure I was a social reject with the soulmate thing not working out, but as long as I had my best friends, screw soulmates. Plus Michael was a pretty cool dude that was another person I had. That was all until it all came to a halt.

"What are you doing here?" I spat.

"Don't act like you aren't happy to see me, Brooklyn." She said all too sweetly. Who does she think she is?

"Trust me, I'm not."

I can't believe she came here. All I was, was a trophy to her and my father. They never really cared about me. All they cared about was showing me off to their colleagues on how well and disciplined their child was.

Not anymore.

I cared about my education not for them, but for me. My own pleasure of being smart. I wanted to do something different, not be what my parents were. I didn't want to fall in the darkness of their shadows. I was my own person, not their display.

"I don't want to come home. I found another place to stay, one where I am welcome and loved. Real love." I spat at her. I made a point to emphasize on 'real'.

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "I'm not dealing with this right now Brooklyn," she said in a calm, collective voice, grabbed my wrist and began pulling me towards the door. I stood my ground.

"I said I don't want to come." I said through gritted teeth.

"I am your mother and you will do as I say." She pulled me harder and more firmly.

I couldn't resist her anymore. If I kept fighting with her then I might be kicked out of the school for defiance. I wanted to be here badly so I couldn't let that happen.

***

"...and no more going out on the weekends. I want you to come home and do your homework then study before and after dinner." My mom, if I should even call her that, continued on with the many things I was restricted to. "I have already spoken to your father about it and he wants you to take an extra class to get you more credit."

Great, I thought, more work to do. I love learning more things, but there has to be a balance of free time as well.

She finished her lecture and I was now sitting on my bed. My phone was revoked and I was left with my text books. Now how am I supposed to tell the girls I couldn't make it?

I got up off of my bed and made my way over to my desk in the corner of my room. There were neatly laid papers and notebooks scattered across it and a small, mesh pencil holder was sitting in the corner next to my desk lamp. I always hated being messy and having papers everywhere. I always made it my goal to keep everything organized so it was easier to study. Right now, I was not in a studying mood though.

I plopped down onto the black swivel chair and opened up my History textbook. This was going to be a long night, I could already tell. I grabbed my black fine-point pen and my yellow highlighter from the pencil holder and began writing notes. I had already studied for this section, but I had nothing else to do. If I didn't study, my mom would come in and make me do more than I was already told to.

I heard tapping from behind me. Probably just the leaves on the tree branch again. I brushed it off and copied more noted. I heard the tapping again, this time more persistent. I turned around and saw Caroline and Pam standing on my balcony, tapping on the glass door. They both had smiles on their face and kept tapping as if to say, are you going to just stand there or let us in.