Chapter 1

It's been two weeks since I moved to Moscow from America, I needed to change my life, and finally I took courage and embarked on this journey alone.

I'm blind. Despite this, i'm surprisingly independent. I live alone and the only thing I need is my cane.

Today is a particularly nice day, so I've decided to take a walk and memorize one more piece of road in the neighborhood so I can move farther and farther on my own.

It's all going smoothly until I stumble into someone, despite having my cane in hand, I stumble back.

"черт возьми... (watch it)." He growls, but when he whips around to see who had just bumped into him, he quickly regains his composure again as he sees the girl is blind.

I fall to the ground and lose the cane "Извини, я не хотел тебя ударить (I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you.) I say with a clumsy Russian as I begin to reach for my cane by touching the ground with my fingers.

"It's fine" the man said. The voice has a distinct Russian accent. He then chuckles in a cruel tone though, seeming amused at her situation. "Lost your cane?" He asks.

I tilt my head toward the voice "Yes, would you be so kind to tell me where it is?" I ask him.

The Russian shrugs and his accent thickens as he speaks, leaning in slightly to make sure you can hear him properly. He tells me his name, "Well, my name is Vladimir." He replies, offering a hand to pull you up off the floor and puts the stick in my hand.

What I notice immediately grasping his hand is that it is cold and strong. When I let go of his hand I thank him. "Спасибо (Thank you), my name is Mariam.

Vladimir can now observe Mariam, despite her condition she is really a beautiful girl with delicate features and long wavy hair that looks light blue. "I haven't memorized the road very well yet, I have recently moved here, it takes me some time to memorize it. I'm trying to get to the park nearby." I tell him embarassed.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mariam." Vladimir replies, his Russian accent thickens even more. His face remains friendly, but now he seems a little more serious as he takes in information.

"You managed to reach the park, we are inside it. I know this area pretty well and..." His cruel smile remains as he gestures around him "...if you want I can help you navigate it so you can memorize the way inside it" he asks. Vladimir does not usually show kindness to people but having the company of a girl does not displease him and he needs a moment of distraction from being the commander of the Inner Circle, an ultranationalist criminal group.

I hesitate a moment before replying after all he is a foreigner that you can't even see. Vladimir notices Mariam's indecision. "All right, a little company is always welcome," I reply. I grab Vladimir's arm with one hand and tap the cane on the ground with the other.

As you both start walking, he continues to talk to me, getting to know me.

"Where did you move from?" He asks, and despite his cruel appearance there's something about the way he speaks that seems oddly comforting.

"America precisely New York," I reply. "Oh, you moved quite far." The Russian chuckles as he steers me down the sidewalk. "America huh? Why did you move?" He asks.

Despite his seemingly kind treatment he remains somewhat mysterious. As if there are some unspoken secrets he's hiding.

"I needed to rest and disconnect from the life I had there, that's all," I say keeping my eyes closed but with a sad smile on my face. "What brought you here today instead?" I ask him.