HH 16

With concern in his voice, Han asked, "So... pinapapatay ka?"

In a serious voice, Caleb answered, "Yes. It's considered common by those in our league to prioritize keeping their family above others. Hues had previously done it too. The family I'm in has destroyed an entire powerful family, yet there's a media blackout."

"Kaya ba ayaw mo sa pamilya mo?" and Caleb nodded unhesitatingly.

Even though Han's notion was ridiculous, he nevertheless voiced it: "I don't know who has your heart pero gusto mo bang maging Teodoro na lang muna?"

"I'm not here for your jokes," Caleb fired back, brushing the concept off with ease.

"Hindi nga biro, I mean, hindi ka na ipapapatay kung uunahan mo nang hindi ituloy ang kasal, right?" Han elaborated further.

Meanwhile, Caleb shot back, "And then die in Mr. Hue's own hands? Mas masakit ata 'yon."

"Ha? Kayang gawin ng ama mo 'yon?" Han questioned with a startled yet worried tone.

"I told you, si Austin lang ang tinuturing niyang anak," Caleb said.

They may not have come up with an agreement, but he remained persistent in his desire to save Caleb. Han and Silver were discussing Caleb's engagement as they made their way to the gym. Han remarked, "Bespal, hindi ka naman nakikinig. Kanina pa ako salita nang salita."

The entire engagement of the person he liked consumed Silver's thoughts. "Sa tingin mo matutuloy?" inquired the man.

"May isang buwan para magawan ng paraan," Han replied.

Again, but with a more dejected tone, Silver questioned, "Pero sa tingin mo?"

With a sigh, Han grinned and said, "Hindi ako makapapayag."

The latter concurred, "Ako rin," which confused Han. "Syempre mga kaibigan natin sila. Deserve nilang pumili kung sino ang mamahalin, hindi ba?" Silver went on to explain himself.

"Ssob, kasama na ni Gray si Han sa court," Silver dreary informed Caleb. He went on, "Nakwento na rin niya 'yong engagement niyo ni Crimson."

"Good. And how do you feel about it?" Caleb inquired.

"Oks lang, ssob," Silver retorted, avoiding eye contact with Caleb.

With a laugh, Caleb said, "You know you can be honest with me."

Silver's cheeks reddened and his eyes grew wide. "Paano mo alam?"

With a playful "Pass sa halata," Caleb responded.

Before long, they were enjoying a quiet lunch at the cafeteria while they waited for Han to arrive. Silver asked, "Ssob, kung isa sa inyo maikasal sa iba, matutuloy pa rin ba ang union ng mga pamilya niyo?"

"Hey, do you realize how much risk you're running if it ever occurs? Although some wealthy families are against it, deciding to stand against Hues might be even more dangerous," Caleb responded.

He added, "If we decide to tie the knot with the person we love, we are choosing to stake our lives and dig both of our own graves."

"Ang lala pala talaga. Akala ko ang problema lang ng mayayaman eh paano mas yumaman pa. May problema rin pala sa pag-ibig," Silver retorted, frowning.

Caleb replied, "We're not the ones carrying greater burdens, it's those who decided to love us. For it is them who will fight over the love they have."

Silver responded, asking, "Bakit hindi ikaw ang lumaban?"

Caleb simply answered, "Cause apparently, no one listens to a first-born, illegitimate son like me."

"Ano?" Han barged in from behind, sitting down behind Caleb while maintaining eye contact. He continued, "Ba't ngayon ko lang 'to nalalaman?"

"Because those who knew about it got silenced. Who would want to have their name ruined? Well, probably not Hues," Caleb answered casually, even though it stings his heart.

Silver shot back, saying, "Beh, kunwari na lang hindi ko 'to nalaman. Ayaw kong ma-silenced!" and asked to be allowed to leave for a little while.

Han said nothing, only keeping his eyes fixed on Caleb's while he considered it carefully. Then he said, "Marry me."

Caleb was so shocked he was unable to control his feelings. "Didn't you hear me earlier? I can't marry someone else. You'd die instantly!" he exclaims, furrowing his brows.

In an attempt to calm Caleb down, Han covered his mouth. He pulled him out of the cafeteria so they could have a private conversation. He continued, "Galing ako kay Dr. Yale, sabi niya pwedeng any day mabulag na ako. Ayaw kong mabuhay sa dilim, Caleb."

Caleb looked worriedly into Han's eyes and cupped both of his cheeks before asking, "What? Ba't hindi ka nagpasama? Anong pwedeng gawin to stop or even just delay your blindness?"

With Caleb's hands held back from his face, Han answered, "Ayaw kong dumagdag pa sa iisipin mo. Gusto ko lang isipin mo na kung ikakasal tayo, magiging malaya ka sa mga Hue."

"Of what cost? Losing you? I'd rather lose my own freedom than have to know you're gone because of me," Caleb said.

"Mawawala akong masaya at kampante, knowing you'd live the life you've always wanted," Han retorted, giving Caleb's hands a gentle squeeze.

"Anong alam mo of how I really wanted to live my life?" Caleb said in a cracked voice, suppressing his tears. He continued, "What you want is a death wish, and I'm no Genie for it."

With that, Caleb turned and began to walk away. When he heard someone fall, people had gathered around the man who was lying on the ground. Caleb turned his head back as a student shouted, "Teo!" He exclaimed, "Tabi!" hauling Han onto his back with haste.

The doctor called in for Han's guardian. Han said, "Doc, mag-isa na ako sa buhay. Pero si Caleb na lang ho."

"How are you related to the patient?" the doctor asked.

Caleb was at a loss for words, but before he could respond, Han said, "Boyfriend ko, Doc." This definitely caught him off guard, but he also couldn't argue with it because he found it charming. Han continued, jokingly saying, "Doc, wag mo masyado takutin si Caleb, nerbyoso 'yan siya. Mahal na mahal kasi ako niyan."

Gritting his teeth, yet Caleb let out a laugh. After that, the doctor asked for the patient's guardian to step outside to have the patient's condition discussed. He said, "I am going to address you straight, Mr. Hue. I know that you've been hands-on with his treatment lately, so you should know about his case."

"We might lose his sight in less than a month."

Caleb thought he'd be prepared to hear those, but clearly, he's not. At the sound of the news, his ear started ringing and he became a bit lightheaded. The situation worsened, though, when the doctor informed him, "When the time came, the patient asked to be put to rest. He admitted experiencing great pain and suffering for almost a month now."

To be continued...

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Author's notes:

Happy Wednesday!

Keep streaming Moonlight!