Chapter 37

It's a good thing prom is on a Saturday. If it had been on a Friday, then that would not have been well planned out.

Evie, Noelle, and I are chilling out in my house while our parents are watching a tennis game going on.

They have found a coping mechanism going down there.

I'm surprised they haven't screamed yet.

"Are you kidding me?!" A sudden shout boomed around the whole house.

"That was an easy shot!" Evie's mom yelled across the house.

"Unbelievable!" Noelle's mom belted out.

I spoke too soon.

"Damn, I didn't know tennis was a rage game for them." Noelle stated as she took a sip of her lemonade drink.

"Me too." I agreed.

"Me three." Evie said as she ate her barbecue chips.

"We should make brownies!" Noelle suggested out of the blue.

"Definitely." Evie agreed.

"I do have a brownie package." I stated, and so we went downstairs to make some.

"Mijo, what are you guys making?" My mom asked me as all of the moms turned their attention towards us.

"We're making brownies." I answered to them as I took the brownie package out of the pantry and placed it on top of the counter.

"Make some for us, too." Evies mom slightly glared at Evie.

I wonder what that meant.

Anyway, we get all the ingredients out and start by making the first step.

"Have you actually made brownies before?" I asked Noelle in curiosity as I cracked two eggs in the bowl of the mixer machine and along with other ingredients.

"Not exactly..." She trails off. "I've always wanted to, though. And now I have that opportunity." She finishes her sentence with a smile.

"After making brownies, our next challenge will be baking a cake." Evie recommends as she takes a sip of a monster can.

I don't know how people mix it by hand with a spatula.

They're secretly magicians.

Evie plugs the outlet of the mixer machine and turns it on, and the mixer does its thing.

"How long until it's a liquid?" Noelle asks me.

"Girl, don't look at me. I haven't made brownies before." I tell her, making a face.

Noelle picks up the package and rereads the instructions, while Evie waits until the mixture is done. 

"I think it's done," Evie said as she turned off the mixer machine.

I take out the pan while Noelle finds the parchment paper in the kitchen drawer. I put the pan on the counter, and Noelle flattened the parchment paper on the pan.

Evie pours the bowl into the pan and smoothes the mixture to the edges of the pan.

"We heat it to 350F for 25 minutes, right? Noelle confirms with me.

"Yes, it is written on the package." I said to her.

She sets the oven on, taking the pan, and putting it in the oven.

"Now, all we do is wait." Evie stated.

After twenty-five minutes, Noelle opened the oven, and with a pair of mittens, she took the pan and placed them on the counter.