Chapter 6: Morning Caverns (Alyssa POV)

How far is the morning caverns?" I asked grumpily, carrying Sam by the shoulders. Sam's first shadow travel had left her 100% unconscious, which meant I had to carry her while Blake looked at the map like a absolute nerd. But otherwise that the trip was just peachy (total lie). By the time Blake said we were there it was 7 p.m. Sam was still asleep, but judging from heartbeat and breathing, she was only about 40% unconscious. That was better. Blake handed me a bag of marshmallows and a Clif Bar. I left half of each for Sam. The first time Blake eats something that isn't trash. That already made him 95% more human. Until he put out the fire with his Hooves. No human can do that. I slept with (unconscious) Sam in the tent, while Blake slept in the "great outdoors."  Before laying in the tent, I looked up at the stars. Majestic. I swear that I saw a constellation of a trident up in the sky. Maybe I was imagining things. Or maybe Poseidon asked Zeus to send me a message. Anyway, it wasn't important

right now, so I chose to ignore it. I lay there for hours, not falling asleep. Tomorrow wasn't promising to be better than today. Apollo better be worth it.

Sam is now conscious. After 16 hours of sleep, we now have the 3 members of our unhappy team. "This is the moaning caverns? How are we going to find a bow and quiver in 180 feet of cave?" Sam complained.  "There it is," Blake said, pointing. I thought blake was lying, but as I looked up, there it was. Some cobwebs hung from the bow, making it seem ancient. But the place with the most cobwebs was around the bow and quiver. I have a small arachnophobia, so I was glad arachne wasn't here. I walked up to where the bow was. This had  to be a trap. It looked quite untouched. I was about to grab it when Blake said loudly "I'm caught in the web!"
You gotta be kidding me. His voice echoed across the cave. Sam put her palm on her forehead.  "How did you get stuck?" Sam exclaimed angrily. Blake shrugged hopelessly.  "You were stupid enough to come here, and you shall die here too," a voice hissed.
"Who said that?" Sam demanded.  "My name is Arachne," the voice whispered. "And that bow is mine."  "Over my dead body," I replied.  "You're going to have to fight for it," Arachne told us, staying hidden.  "Bring it on," Sam gritted through her teeth. "Get ready to die," Arachne said darkly. I was kinda hoping we wouldn't have to fight. Oh well.

Sam unsheathed her gladius. It glowed brightly, as if eager to fight. I did the same with my trident. It felt lighter this time. Blake tried to get out of the web, though that was a failed attempt. Sam charged at Arachne, but the spider slammed

into her with a stronger force. Sam toppled backwards and collapsed, her gladius falling out of her hand and onto the ground. The sword seemed to glow less vibrantly. That was it. You can ( try) to hurt me all you want, but when you mess with my friends?   My arms shook with anger.  A wave of      hatred washed over me. I slammed the trident as hard as I could. Cracks filled the floor. An idea popped in my head. I hit the trident on the cave surface. More cracks came out. "What are you doing?" Sam asked, confused by my actions.  "I have a plan," I assured her. She did not look reassured. Nevertheless, she fought Arachne and kept her distracted. Cracks invaded the walls, making it look like a building about to be demolished. The thought made me realize I had to get Blake out of the web and grab the bow and get out of there (with Sam) before the cave was destroyed. I threw my trident to where blake was. The web snapped. Blake fell to the ground. I ran and picked up the bow. Arachne screamed. I turned around to see what was going on. Sam had just cut off 2 legs from arachne, one on each side. I don't know if that hurts, but judging from the screaming, it does. "Cursed demigod!" Arachne hissed. Sam inched away from the spider. The cave moved like an earthquake.  "We need to leave. NOW," I told my friends.  "Don't you dare leave with my bow. You don't stand a chance fighting Aeolus and defeating Eris. Not even close!" Arachne yelled as we ran out. Her shout was put off the cave collapsing. 1 hour we arrived at Apollo's apartment.

Apollo opened the door. The gold and marble still made me awestruck. Blake handed the bow to apollo. He studied it for a moment, checking for any minor dents that we're not included in our pact. Apollo agreed to help us. We waited

until it was nighttime (8 p.m. to be exact) to go back to the ship so we can use Sam's shadow travel to get there. Blake said she has to limit how many times she does it or it could be dangerous (he's not reassuring me). We untied the ship from the dock, powered the engine, and the four of us ( with the ship) sailed through the night.

If you're thinking this last part was long, you're wrong. As we were trekking in the woods with Apollo, the wind start to make a breeze. With each step the wind felt stronger and stronger, until the four of us had to grip a tree for support. A figure was in the center of the wind . I recognized him. "I am Aeolus, the four directions of the Wind. Fight me," the wind whispered. Blake made the rookie mistake of throwing his pan flute. The wind threw it back to him . Apollo shot six arrows in a few seconds. The wind hurled it back at him. Apollo missed the Arrows by an inch. We went in a group huddle.  "We're not going to beat him by throwing objects, Sam concluded.

"Alyssa, use your trident to create a wave of water," Apollo commanded me. He's not the boss of me. And the trident doesn't do all the work. Though, he had a point. And there was no better option really. "Stand back," I warned. "Are you giving up? You are afraid," Aeolus taunted. I let out a guttural roar and hit the Trident. A wave of water rushed over. Aeolus looked awestruck. Never saw it coming. He hit the grass with a moan, defeated. Apollo ran to Aeolus and trapped him in a jar. All he was made out of was wind. Aeolus busted out a line of prophecy: The five of them, all brave and bold, must fight the ones with eyes of gold. Sam and Blake had their

mouths open. Apollo looks stunned. As we got back to the ship, I feel a little hopeful. It wasn't the end. Yet. We would survive for another day. I decided to write down the prophecy that Alice had burst out. My legs should be up and down as I wrote the words: "The five of them." There were only 4 of us. There was a person we had yet to meet. "All brave and bold." I'm flattered. "Must fight the ones with eyes of gold." That has hypnotism written all over it. Blake untied the rope off the ship. And together, all four of us (until 5), sailed into the unknown.