Our Champion

It was not a normal day in Los Angeles and twenty-four hours ago a category four hurricane had ripped through the city. Causing stations from Nevada, Arizona, and as far as Texas to be called upon to help with search and rescue.

"There hasn't been a hurricane in Los Angeles since the early 1900s," Paul spoke.

at the moment the 126 was about thirty minutes from the area they were told to set up shop before getting their boots on the ground and saving the people of L.A.

"And?" Judd asked looking at the man.

"I don't know, it just seems so random." Paul shrugged.

This conversation lasted a while longer until Mateo finally spoke up and pointed out that they were there.

After a long time of finding where both the fire truck and the ambulance should park, they finally grabbed their gear and got out of their trucks.

After meeting the incident commander they were told their assignments.

As they walked through what was either a middle or high school they ran into so familiar faces.

"The 126?" Eddie asked when he first noticed Marjan. Walking with him were the five that made up the crew on the 118 engine.

"It's great to see you guys."  Paul said first.

The group of first responders greeted each other and the ones who hadn't yet met the other team were introduced to each other.

When Bobby introduced himself Judd knew his name sounded familiar. But he couldn't for the life of him figure out where he heard it from. Until everyone kept talking and. He finally remembered.

"Captain Nash, my wife would never forgive me if I didn't tell you how much she idolizes your wife." The Texan spoke.

Bobby could say that wasn't where he thought that was heading but he wasn't mad at it because he too idolizes his wife.

"I'm happy to hear that and I'm sure she would be too." Bobby replied.

"And don't worry everyone looks up to her." Chimney added.

"Yeah, in some weird way she's our champion." Eddie added to Chim's statement.

This all led to the two teams spending over ten minutes talking about this woman before they heard some commotion from down the hallway.

They all made their way to the area where the sound was coming from. To not only see a man sitting on the ground in handcuffs but Athena sitting on a chair next to him holding an ice pack to her chin.

Being the husband he is, Bobby went to check if she was okay and the thirteen other first responders stood not too far.

After Athena repeatedly told Bobby she was okay she turned her attention to the firefighters and paramedics who were staring at her.

"Who are your friends?" Athena asked as she turned back to Bobby.

He couldn't help but chuckle at her tone. "This is the 126, a station in Texas." He started. "That is Marjan, Mateo, Paul, Judd, TK, Nancy, Captain Vega, and Captain Strand. And I would like to say they are big fans." Bobby finished.

"Of me?" She asked and Bobby did not need to reply because they did it for him.

"My wife had read all the news articles that have your name on it and I'm sure you helped heron a case a few years ago." Judd informed as he watched her stand up.

"Is your wife Grace Ryder?" She asked as she approached the group causing Judd to nod in return. "Yeah, she and Reyes were a force to be reckoned with from what I remember. I told him that he should take the detective's exam but he told me he was better off staying on patrol."

TK shook his head. "You and me both."

Before this conversation had a chance to continue Athena got called back out to the field and the incident commander told both firefighting teams that the help that was needed was immediate and that the paramedics should be ready because they had almost a dozen people en route.

The teams hurried to get to where they needed to go dropping the conversation topic immediately.

Two weeks later...

The 126 has been away from Texas for an entire two weeks and it was finally announced that the local departments could handle the rest of the work. As they got prepared for their twenty-hour drive back home the members of the 118 plus Athena walked up to them.

"We just wanted to tell you to have a safe trip." Buck spoke. "And that the lunch we talked about the last time will have to wait until the next time you guys are in L.A." He added.

"Well, we'll hold you to it." Marjan replied.

"And if it's on a better set of circumstances please bring your wife and your husband I'd love to meet them in person." Said Athena.

When Judd and TK voiced their agreeance the team had officially said their goodbyes and the 126 was finally on the road.

"That's a crazy way to meet someone." Mateo said thinking back on the day they met Athena two weeks ago.

"Yeah then to get punched by the man you're trying to arrest and then still arresting him is badass." Marjan added.

It may be a bit weird to idolize a cop who lives almost fifteen hundred miles away from you. But when you see the work that she's put in for almost thirty years, it's admirable. And majority of the 126 and their spouses see that and they don't care that they're not in the same field.

THE END

For- @unknownforceofhope