For The First Time Since I Had Been Rescued...

"Well, you see, Jamie, the police officer who rescued you, he's actually my brother-in-law." 

I blinked in surprise. "Really? I had no idea." 

Linda nodded. "Yes, and that means that I'm going to be your aunt." 

I stared at her, trying to process this information. "My aunt?" I repeated. "What does that mean?" 

Linda smiled kindly. "It means that I'm going to be a part of your family, Caitlyn. I'm going to be there for you, to help you through everything that's happened to you, and to support you as you start your new life." 

I couldn't believe it. After everything I had been through, I was going to have a new family, and Linda was going to be a part of it. It was almost too much to take in. "Thank you, Linda," I said softly. "I don't know what to say." 

Linda reached across the table and took my hand. "You don't have to say anything, honey. Just know that you're not alone anymore. You have a whole new family who loves you and wants to take care of you."

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "I never thought I would have a family again," I whispered. "But now...now I have you and Jamie and Eddie. I don't know how to thank you all for what you've done for me." 

Linda squeezed my hand. "You don't have to thank us, Caitlyn. We're just happy to have you as a part of our family. And we're going to do everything we can to make sure you're happy and safe." 

I smiled through my tears, feeling a warmth spreading through my chest. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had something to look forward to. A new family, a new home, a new life.

As Linda and I finished our breakfast, we talked about what it would be like for me to be a part of Jamie's family. She told me about the family. She asked me about my favorite things, hobbies, and dreams for the future. And I told her everything, feeling like for the first time in a long time, I had someone who really cared about me.

As we finished up, Linda stood up and hugged me. "We're going to take good care of you, Caitlyn," she said. "You're going to be okay." 

And for the first time since I had been rescued, I believed those words.

A/N: Who thought it would be this surprise?? Hehe, I waited a little bit to publish this one so I could keep y'all guessing. Hope you liked it. Any questions, comments, concerns, queries, conundrums?? I'm taking requests if you have something you want to see in this story. No silent readers, please!!

Happy Reading!!