X V I I

TUESDAY | DECEMBER 10

A loud commotion made Mizuki jump out of her sleep and look around frantically. She listened out for the loud noise to decipher what it was, but there was just silence.

Mizuki let out a soft sigh as she sat up straight, running her hands down her tired face. She stretched and yawned, looking around her old bedroom in the Headmaster's Quarters. Her eyes then landed on her alarm clock time and wasn't impressed that it was five in the morning, meaning she had a few hours of sleep. She then noticed her wristwatch that she sat on her nightstand. The dive into the fountain broke it, forever frozen at eleven PM.

Just her luck.

At that moment, her attention was pulled from the broken object when the beautiful sounds of Beethoven's Für Elise played.

Mizuki stood up from her bed and went to see where it was coming from, grabbing her robe and slipping it on.

Walking through the manor, she eventually made it to the ground floor where the music was the loudest. Mizuki walked down the hall and wandered to the sitting room. She peeked inside and saw Kaien sitting at a piano she knew wasn't there before. And as far as she was concerned, Kaien had no idea how to play one.

Walking into the room, Mizuki watched as Kaien swayed his body to the music's pace as his fingers danced over the black and white keys. She stared at him in awe, reminiscing on the days when she used to play the piano. It all started with her elementary class having a play, but the teacher thought it was a great idea to have a student play the music instead of her. And that lucky student was Mizuki.

She remembers practicing every day and night for that play at her elementary school. Well after the play, Kaien got her a digital piano and her skills didn't go away.

"I wonder what happened to that old thing," she thought, trying to remember if the piano was broken as was scrapped or what.

Mizuki let out a sigh, full of nostalgia, as she watched Kaien play. She was then discovered; Kaien looked over his shoulder at her, removing his hands from the keys. Mizuki was confused as there was music still playing.

"Uh, what?"

"Ah, Mizuki, you've woken up earlier than I expected," Kaien said, reaching on top of the piano and turning off a radio, stopping the classical music from filling the room. Mizuki frowned, not believing that the older male was pretending to play the piano by himself. "Good morning, Mizuki. Have you noticed anything different?" Kaien asked, gesturing to the upright oak wood piano that sat perfectly in the sitting room.

Mizuki chuckled at Kaien. "Yes, I've noticed. When did you get it?" she asked, walking up to the instrument. She touched the top of it, feeling the smooth polished surface that Kaien already cluttered with pictures of their family and little knick-knacks.

"It just came in today," Kaien informed. Mizuki nodded, pressing down on one of the keys that let out this low, ominous sound. Kaien stared up at Mizuki, admiring her as she looked almost content as she touched the piano. "Guess who got it for you?" Mizuki looked down at Kaien, confused.

"It wasn't you?"

"Nope," he said, shaking his head. "It was Kaname."

The mention of his name made Mizuki's heart skip a beat and her face go hot. "Did he now?" Mizuki grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yes, he did. He told me he was heartbroken after last night and wanted you to have a way of escape. And after what I saw last night, I thought it was a fantastic idea."

Mizuki turned her gaze away, embarrassed that he had seen her like that. But then, as they stood in silence, her mind began to linger on why she got so upset. Toga shot Zero because he was losing control. It clicked with her last night after the fact, but it's hitting her harder right now.