Heartquake 5

"I'm thinking of going," Arthur proclaims.

"Why?" he turns around. "It's a commoner's party. And you, Arthur, are not common."

"I'm thinking of going and taking you and Emeline with me," the prince says, ignoring Merlin's comment.

"What?" Merlin asks, aghast.

"She likes those kinds of things, doesn't she? Little girls like parties, don't they?" he asks.

"I suppose..." Merlin scratches his head. "But, Arthur, why are you making such a big deal out of this?"

"Because, Merlin, just because I find you intolerable, doesn't mean I can't be nice to your daughter," he shrugs.

Merlin groans internally and decides this will either be awkward or just pure torture. Or both. He's betting his coins on both.

There are people in costumes parading through the small streets of the town. They get a few stares because Arthur is there, but Merlin doesn't notice because Em is pointing out this and that in that happy little voice.

There was a few beats of awkwardness at the beginning but, so far, no traces whatsoever of torture. It's been...nice. Arthur looks completely taken by his daughter and Em, it seems, has gotten over Arthur's meanness and now tugs at his hand when she sees something else.

Emeline isn't a picky child; she can make friends with anyone, whether they're her age, like the kids back at Ealdor or the kids Gwen and Morgana have introduced to her here, or grown-ups like Morgana and Gwen.

She can get along with anyone but this seems new. This friendship with Arthur, the way she holds her hand, the way he looks down on her adoringly. It makes something inside Merlin glow with happiness and he suddenly cannot resist the temptation to smile widely.

"I can't see," Em whines over the sea of people.

In a split second, Arthur picks her up and balances her on his hip. Merlin almost has to catch his heart out of pure adoration. But then he has to catch something else; his breath.

Seeing Arthur smiling at his daughter, his own flesh and blood, makes him feel a sort of sensation.

It's like exiting a dark room with something foreign in your hands and, when you are enveloped by light again, you see the form of this object and realize you've had it all along. You just needed to shed some light on it.

Merlin has just exited that dark room and that something foreign, that something unknown, is Arthur and he sees him now. He sees that he's in love with him. He's in love with this proud, stubborn, albeit amazing, prat of person. This dollophead who seems to care for his daughter in a way a parent should care for a child.

"Merlin?" Arthur's voice comes through his thoughts.

"Hmm?" Merlin looks up.

Arthur nudges towards Em, who is already closing her eyes and resting her head on the prince's shoulder. He smiles weakly but looks as if he's enjoying it. He gives her over to her father and Emeline moans in appreciation.

"She tires quickly after she's eaten," Merlin says matter-of-factly.

"Merlin!" a familiar voice surfaces next to him. "I didn't expect to see you here," Gwen says.

"Oh, yeah, Arthur here suddenly got a mental affliction and wanted to take me and Em here," Merlin says.

"Arthur!" Gwen's eyes fly open. "I mean, sire. I'm surprised you're here, not that I'm not glad you're here. It's...a good surprise, sire."

"Thank you, Guinevere," Arthur nods politely. "I suppose."

"Do you want me to take her home?" Gwen asks of Emeline. "I should be going, after all."

"Well..." Merlin says doubtfully. That would mean he'll be alone with Arthur and his recently discovered feelings that there will be awkward silences.

"It's no problem, really," she says.

"Okay, yeah," Merlin gives her over and kisses her goodbye on her cheek and watches Morgana's maidservant disappear into the crowd.

"Do you want to go back?" Merlin asks Arthur.

"No," he answers, his eyes still on the people of Camelot, his future subjects. "Not yet."

"So, what do you want to do?" he asks awkwardly.

Arthur looks at him now and Merlin notices the beauty in the features he was too busy ignoring before. "What about we take a walk?"