Heartquake 21

“I suppose,” Em shrugs as Morgana and Gwen leave the room. They walk arm in arm together towards the hall, where their guests and Rowan await.

“I’m proud of you, Em,” Arthur says as they walk. “Both of us are.”

“I bet you say that to all your adopted daughters,” Em says sarcastically and the King laughs.

“No, just you,” he smiles.

Her own father is silent, like he’s holding back tears and he probably is. Em kisses him on the cheek for good measure.

The doors to the hall open, revealing the King, the Court Sorcerer and the Court Physician together, as they always would be. There were days they were just Arthur, Merlin and Em, but, today, they’re more than that; they’re, quite simply put, just family.

Rowan waits for her at the end of the hall, looking dapper in his robes, with his brown hair neat for once, and his smile, that makes her smile, too. Arthur and Merlin leave her at Rowan’s arms; both kiss her for one last time.

“My lords, ladies and gentlemen, we are gathered here today,” Geoffrey starts, “to celebrate the ancient rite of hand-fasting, union of Emeline Emrys and Rowan Athalos.”

While Geoffrey speaks, Em looks out into the crowd. The faces of people she loves, and people who love her back. her grandmother and her grandfather, Balinor, who they discovered when they finally went to the forests of Balor, Morgana and Leon, Gwen and Lancelot, the Knights that had once played with her and watched her grow up, even the flying figure of Kilgharrah outside the window, and her fathers, who look at her fondly. If she concentrated really hard, she could even see the ghost of her mother. Rowan notices this and grips her hand, pulling her back to the reality of their wedding.

For such an amount of time preparing for the ceremony, it’s quite short. A few words, it’s all there is. It won’t make quite of a difference when they are pronounced married, they feel like they’ve been married for quite some time now.

“Now, the rings,” the man says.

Rowan smiles and takes Emeline’s hand and there’s strings of purple and blue and golden around her fingers, until they settle on one, and make up the shape of a glistening ring. Emeline does the same with her magic and they are pronounced man and wife.

The hall bursts with magic, colors in the air, conjured up by both Merlin and Morgana to celebrate. Rowan takes Emeline in his arms, suddenly having a fit of courage and kisses her, hard on the mouth.

The Knights of Camelot whoop loudly for the newlyweds as Leon and Morgana’s son and Gwen and Lancelot’s daughter clap their hands excitedly. Emeline lets go of Rowan’s hold for a moment to rejoin her parents.

Arthur and Merlin welcome her with embraces and kisses and congratulate her and Arthur hugs his new son-in-law, accepting him, without words, into his family. Rowan goes off to be congratulated by the rest of the court while Arthur and Merlin stay with their daughter.

“The day you came to Camelot,” Arthur says, “was the day everything changed. What would we have done without you?”

“Your mother would’ve been proud, Em,” Merlin says tearfully. “As am I. I mean, look at you. Strong, brave, beautiful… I’m proud to call you my daughter, Em.”

Em doesn’t say anything to this; she’s far too shocked at this point. She hugs them one more time and reunites with her husband.

Arthur looks at Merlin, and asks, “You okay?”

Merlin smiles slowly then sinks into Arthur and says, “Of course.”

They kiss, chaste and short, because they have all the time in the world. Arthur holds his hand as Merlin makes another colorful streamer in the air.

This is the kingdom of Albion, where magic and love roam free, where family is more than just blood, where King Arthur rules, with Merlin by his side.

THE END