Chapter 15 -Girlhood

Leaving Sakura's apartment was difficult, it even weighed heavily on Sasuke's heart. He did not expect her to warm up to him so easily. In fact, he didn't even know what he expected. Much more yelling, probably. Or punches, maybe even a screaming match, but he did not expect her to ask him to stay.

Once again, leaving her was the only choice. In his mind, that encounter was him saying goodbye to her. Closure, in some twisted sense.

He arrived at the hideout, and tried to get some rest before tomorrow. Needless to say, he got no sleep whatsoever. Tomorrow was the most important day of his life.

The morning started like any other. Sasuke was calm, collected. He expected to be nervous, anxious even but no, his mind sharp and clear. The plan was set in motion.

Team Taka travelled for hours. Itachi always travelled with his partner, but today was his first solo mission. They planned to interject him on his way there.

The air was tense. Suigetsu, Karin and Juugo all knew it was most likely their last mission together. Sasuke had gathered them initially for this very mission.

Once they arrived at the destination, they split and hid in different directions. They set up traps, and waited for Itachi to show up. Sure enough, he eventually did.

He skillfully dodged all the traps and hidden attacks.

"This isn't the warm welcome I expected from my beloved brother" he chuckled.

*Shit! How did he know?* Thought Juugo. Karin shivered.

"I expected no less from you, brother." Sasuke stepped forward, revealing himself to Itachi.

Itachi smiled. "I guess today is the day my sins catch up to me, huh?"

"Yes, today is the day you die for what you did. I will make you regret ever leaving me alive."

Itachi laughed like a maniac.

"This is where you're wrong. Knowing the pain I engraved in your heart for the rest of my life gives me utmost joy!"

"You were always heartless, Itachi. It will bring me utmost joy to seek justice today."

"Bring it on, little brother! Let's see what you got, don't disappoint me!" Itachi grinned sinisterly, charging at Sasuke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"These should brighten the mood here a little bit!" Ino smiled as she placed colorful lilies in a vase on top of Sakura's nightstand. Sakura lay on her bed staring at the ceiling, tears dried on her face.

"You haven't spoken all morning." Ino sighed, sitting down next to her.

She decided to stop by after being unable to reach Sakura all morning. They were scheduled for a morning run, but Sakura never showed up.

"At least you're safe! I was worried some creep from the bar took you. What's that scar on your neck? It looks like a bruise."

"I'm okay, Ino. Please leave me alone", mumbled Sakura.

"Come on, tell me what happened! Your phone was off all morning, you stood me up for our scheduled run!"

"Sorry..."

"What? No this isn't the point!" Ino stood up and opened the curtains, letting beams of sunlight into her bedroom. "Sakura, come on, you know I'll make you tell me."

Silence.

"Okay, fine, I'll go first! My night was just amazing! I met this guy whose name I can not remember for the life of me!" She chuckled. "He did rock my world in the club bathroom, though!" she stuck her tongue out. "I've been excited to tell you all morning! I'll go into details after you tell me what happened!"