Chapter 18 - Homecoming King

Sasuke woke up early, around 5 am. He was barely sleeping - more like awake-dreaming. You know, when you can't tell if you're asleep or not, and you see hyper realistic images in your head?

Sasuke was anticipating his return to Konoha. Last time he was there, he went straight to Sakura's apartment, plus it was dark and he could barely see the village. He did not know what to expect. Probably immediate ambush and potential jail time. He wondered if he should resist. Maybe I just leave Sakura quietly outside the hospital bench, and then disappear?

*What's the point?* he thought to himself. *Where would I even go if I escaped jail time in Konoha? Also, I can't do this to her again - I refuse to leave her alone unconscious ever again. I will make sure she gets treatment. That's the least I owe her after what she did for me.*

He hadn't seen Naruto, Kakashi, Tsunade, or anyone else for a long time. He got a glimpse of Ino from a distance before his first encounter with Sakura, but that was it. Did they all hate him? It didn't matter.

In his wildest dreams, everyone welcomed him back with open arms, he moved back into his family's pretty sizable house, and Sakura moved in with him. Like a fairy-tale ending. He chuckled at the stupidity.

Sasuke got dressed, and went to wake up Suigetsu.

"Mhmhmmmm ughhh what time is it?" he mumbled.

"Sorry, Suigetsu. Just wanted to say I'm leaving to take Sakura home."

"Yeah yeah be safe..." Suigetsu was half asleep.

"Listen, thank you for everything. I don't know what you have planned for the future, but when things die down, you're always welcome to visit. I'm sure Sakura would love to host you. Don't be a stranger."

Sasuke left his room before Suigetsu could fully formulate a response. He went straight to Sakura's room. Her condition hadn't changed. Luckily, Sasuke was one of the fastest ninjas at the time, so he knew he could make the trip to Konoha significantly shorter, considering how much chakra he had built up over the past couple of days.

He packed some necessities, then gently picked her up. Holding her close to his chest felt dreamy. She still smelled like herself, except her skin was almost freezing.

*I better hurry.*

He held her tightly, and rushed out the front door.

The trip, while relatively short, felt very emotionally taxing. In the end, Sasuke accepted the fact that he could not at all predict how his arrival would go, so he decided to stop trying. If he got ambushed by Anbu, he decided he would comply, and go to jail. Hopefully, that would mean at least somewhat regular visits from Sakura - it didn't seem too bad, sitting in a room alone and getting to see her every now and then.

If he wasn't arrested - well, then he was less certain. The rest would then purely depend on Sakura.

One scenario he refused to consider at all was if something happened to Sakura. He rejected that hypothesis aggressively.

Soon, he was approaching the gates of Konoha.

*That Anbu is hopeless,* he chuckled. *They've been chasing me for so many months, and even my most basic chakra concealment techniques are enough to hide from them... I should tell Tsunade to up her game.*

"Hey! You! Stop!!" Two men at the gates yelled at him, getting in fight position. "What is your business?"

"Wait, look..." One of them pointed to Sakura. "Is this...?"

"Sakura-chan!" The second one exclaimed. "What have you done to her?" He took out a kunai.

"Enough with all that, I brought her here for medical help. She needs a doctor, now!"