waves of the heart.

---

Emma, always seen as the level-headed and pragmatic one of the group, has been wrestling with a growing realization that's been hard to define. Her feelings towards Rikki, often masked under layers of their shared adventures, responsibilities, and the common secret of their mermaid identities, have deepened into something more profound than friendship. Emma has noticed a shift within herself, a longing for Rikki's company beyond their mermaid duties and a desire to be close to her outside their trio dynamics with Cleo. This realization has been a gentle yet persistent whisper in her heart, challenging her understanding of herself and her feelings towards Rikki.

After weeks of introspection and gathering courage, Emma decides it's time to confront these feelings and share them with Rikki. The setting for this heart-to-heart is their beloved Moon Pool, a place of transformations, revelations, and, now, Emma's chosen venue for her confession, considering its significance to both their lives as mermaids and friends.

---

**Emma:** Rikki, can we talk about something... personal?

**Rikki:** Sure, Em. What's up?

**Emma:** It's just... You know we've been through so much together, the three of us, with our secret and all the crazy things that have happened...

**Rikki:** Yeah, it's been wild. But we've always had each other's backs, right? - Said Rikki with concern in her voice.

**Emma:** Exactly. And I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, about us, and how we've changed...

**Rikki:** Change is kind of part of the deal when you turn into a mermaid.

Emma chuckles softly but has an earnest expression.

**Emma:** Not that kind of change, I mean... how I've changed, my feelings.

Rikki looks at Emma with curiosity.

**Rikki:** Feelings? Ok, now you've got my attention.

**Emma:** I've always admired you, Rikki. Your bravery, your independence, your fierce loyalty. It's like you're not even afraid of anything.

**Rikki:** Trust me, I have my moments. But thanks, that means a lot.

**Emma:** But it's more than just admiration. I think... I think I've started to feel something for you that's more than friendship.

Rikki's eyes widen slightly, a mix of surprise and cautious curiosity on her face.

**Rikki:** More than friendship?

Emma nods, taking a deep breath before continuing.

**Emma:** I've tried to ignore it, to tell myself it's just the stress of keeping our secret, but I can't anymore, Rikki. When I think about who I really care about, who I want to spend my time with, it's you.

There's a brief silence as Rikki processes Emma's words.

**Rikki:** Emma, well, that's... a lot to take in. I never realized you felt that way.

**Emma:** I understand if it's too much. I just needed to be honest with you, and with myself.

**Rikki:** No, I'm glad you told me. I mean, we've become so close, it's hard to imagine not having you in my life. And I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about it, about us, but...

**Emma:** But?

Rikki looks thoughtfully at the water, searching for the right words.

**Rikki:** But I've never let myself think about it seriously. I guess I never thought you'd feel the same way.

Emma reaches out, placing a gentle hand on Rikki's arm.

**Emma:** And if we gave this a chance, if we explored these feelings together, could that be something you'd want?

Rikki meets Emma's gaze, a small, vulnerable, but genuine smile forming on her lips.

**Rikki:** I think... I think it could be. I mean, we've dealt with bigger surprises than this, right?

Emma smiles back, a weight lifted from her shoulders.

**Rikki:** So, what do we do now?

**Emma:** I guess we figure it out together, like we always do.

They share a warm, understanding look, their friendship now blooming into something new and unexpected, the gentle sound of the ocean surrounding them.