just a call away.

This chapter takes place in S3 when Emma left...that shit broke me.

---

Rikki and Emma's love story was as unexpected as it was magical, blossoming amidst the secret chaos of mermaid adventures and high school dramas. Despite their stark differences - Rikki's rebellious spirit complementing Emma's meticulous nature - their bond grew stronger with each passing day. They found solace in their shared secret, their unique connection bringing out unheard empathy in Rikki and an adventurous streak in Emma.

Their relationship became the heart of their tight-knit group, with Cleo and Lewis both supportive, enjoying the balance and happiness the couple brought to their lives. However, their serene world was shaken when Emma's parents announced they were leaving Gold Coast to travel around the world. Emma, torn between her family and her love had no choice but to leave, promising Rikki they would find a way to make it work.

Rikki tried to be strong, for Emma's sake, but her facade crumbled quickly. She was lost without Emma, the distance feeling like an insurmountable chasm. Their daily phone calls became Rikki's lifeline, yet they were a stark reminder of the physical distance between them. Emma's departure left a void that Rikki struggled to fill, even with her friends' unwavering support.

When Bella entered their group, it was meant to be a fresh start, a new ally in their mermaid secrets. But to Rikki, Bella was a constant reminder that Emma was not coming back anytime soon. Although Bella tried to be understanding and supportive, to Rikki, she was an outsider, unable to grasp the depth of her loss, Rikki knew Bella could never replace Emma.

Cleo and Lewis did their best to support Rikki, their hearts aching for their friend's pain. They remembered how vibrant Rikki used to be when Emma was around, and the contrast to her current state was stark. They missed Emma too but felt powerless in easing Rikki's suffering.

The day Rikki found Emma's necklace which she swapped with Cleo before leaving was a breaking point. It wasn't just a piece of jewelry; it was a symbol of their love and the life they shared. Seeing it, feeling its weight, brought all of Rikki's emotions to the surface, overwhelming her in a tide of sorrow and longing.

---

It was another week day for Rikki, she didn't really care what day it was since Emma left a month ago. Cleo asked Rikki, Bella and Lewis to hang out at her place. Rikki came over only because she felt so alone, lost in her thoughts, and it was killing her slowly each day. If only Emma was there to make it better like she always does.

Rikki was sitting on Cleo's couch alone, lost in her thoughts again, when suddenly she spotted something silver, she immediately picked it up as tears started forming in her eyes. It was Emma's locket with Rikki's picture inside of it.

**Rikki**: (Her voice trembling, as she picks up Emma's locket) Oh... This... No, I- She always wears this... It's just not fair.

Rikki's friends came up to her offering comfort.

**Cleo**: (Putting an arm around her) Rikki, I know it's tough, but Emma's doing what's best for her family right now.

**Rikki**: (Angrily, tears streaming down her face) Cleo! She's gone! She's not just around the corner or at the JuiceNet. She's really gone!

**Bella**: She's still with us, Rikki. Maybe not physically, but you know-

**Rikki**: (Interrupting, her voice breaking with every word) No, Bella! You don't know her. (Her hands shake, clutching the locket tighter) Emma and I, we... (Tears stream down her cheeks)

**Lewis**: Rikki, Emma still loves you. It's just... distance, it's a challenge, but it's not the end.

**Rikki**: (Sobbing) I can't do this. Everything reminds me of her. I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't even breathe without remembering she's not here! She's the one I love, and she's gone!

**Cleo**: (Looks at Lewis and Bella, then makes a decision) Hold on, I've got an idea.

Cleo quickly pulls out her phone and dials Emma hoping Rikki hearing her lover's voice would feel better.

**Cleo**: Oh, Emma, hi. Rikki really needs you right now.

Cleo passed her phone to Rikki leaving upstairs with Lewis and Bella to give Rikki some alone time.

**Emma**: (Concerned) Rikki, love? What's wrong?

**Rikki**: (Barely whispers) Em...

**Emma**: (Tenderly) Rikki, I see you. I miss you like crazy, you know that?

**Rikki**: I don't... I don't know how to be me without you. There's this hole in my chest, and it just keeps getting bigger. Why did you have to go?

**Emma**: (Her own voice catching) Because life threw us a curveball, Rikki. But that doesn't change how much I love you. You're strong, stronger than anyone I know.

**Rikki**: But it hurts, Emma. Everything. It's not the same without you, nothing is. I just wanna be with you, hold you, go on midnight swims like we always do.

**Emma**: I'm holding onto us too, Rikki. And I'll be there to hug you as soon as I can. I promise.

Rikki nods, wiping her tears.

**Emma**: Until then, hold onto that necklace. It's me, with you, always. We'll make it through.

**Rikki**: Please just come home.

**Emma**: (With a tearful smile) As soon as I can. Until then, I need my fierce girl to keep being strong. Can you do that for me?

**Rikki**: (A small, affirmative nod) For you, anything.

**Emma**: I love you, Rikki.

**Rikki**: I love you too, Em. So much.

They both cry as Emma finished the call.

Cleo comes up to Rikki putting a comforting arm around her.

**Cleo**: Remember how Emma would say? "Keep swimming, no matter how strong the current." She's just a call away, Rikki.

Rikki managed to smile for the first time in a while.