𝟐𝟗 | 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧𝐬

Dad's New Year's celebration will take place at Cuisine Français, which came as a surprise to me

Dad's New Year's celebration will take place at Cuisine Français, which came as a surprise to me. But now, as I stood outside the previously mentioned place on the day of the party, the view in front of me hit like thunder.

It was... wow.

Four giant foam dice cubes bordered the entrance in the air, two on each side, while neon lights cast a purple, pink, and blue glow on the walls surrounding the door and above. The door's borders were ornamented with yellow lights that matched well with the display board next to them, which displayed the word 'CASINO' vertically.

My dad wanted a casino-themed party, and the dreamy sighs and starry eyes of the guests arriving were proof that it all went well.

He was about to arrive later. It wasn't anything new; he'd always sought a show-stopping entrance; he enjoys stealing the spotlight and will do everything to get it.

I decided to arrive early with Stacy and James, and it was around three hours prior to midnight. My father emphasized that as his daughter, I should maintain a pleasant demeanour and greet everyone I see. So, I left the two lovebirds to enjoy themselves while I told myself to do as my father ordered; I didn't want a scene on New Year's Eve.

I pace my feet inside the restaurant, and the heating systems are on full blast, filling the air with a smoky and musky scent. Before proceeding, I remove my coat and hand it to a responsible attendant stationed near the door.

Coming inside was another wave of surprise for me. The last time I was here, there was only chairs and a table for dining and a bar at the end of the hallway. The eating room has been replaced with tables for snooker, poker, and blackjack. Each table had two attendants, one of which was the card game dealer and the other was the waiter who refilled the beverages for the guests playing at those tables.

The bartenders at the bar demonstrated their skills in producing and mixing drinks, eliciting excitement from the audience through cheers.

People engaged in normal conversation while holding drinks in their hands; some were playing table games, others were drinking vodka shots by the bar, and some simply danced about on the dance stage set up at the other end adjacent to the bar.

The fact that Nicolas was able to do all of this in a day really deserves appreciation.

I hope my dad does the same.

"You look impressed, Feisty." Nicolas' breath ghosted the side of my face before he approached me, a sneer on his lips. "Can I finally boast about that now?"

I scoff, but I can't stop the small smile from appearing. "I really wanted to congratulate you for your hard work before you started with your arrogance again."

"Mhm." His grin widens. "I'll always be arrogant about catching your eyes, even if you just gaze at me."

Something about the way he looked at me sent tingles from my neck to my toes, and I decided to divert this conversation. "But what about eating, if any of these people wanted to have food?"