FOUR

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

FOUR:
THE GAME

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

BONNIE ASKED BRIAR TO JOIN HER, ELENA AND STEFAN FOR DINNER AT THE GILBERT HOUSE, and Briar couldn't say no to the puppy dog eyes.

Which led her to sit next to Bonnie, across from an empty chair, really wishing she could've invited Seth to break the silence.

Because fuck it was awkward.

Stefan knew that she knew he was a vampire, but Bonnie and Elena didn't know anything.

And it felt weird to be in the Gilbert home without ever been there before. Thoughts of her mother filled her head and she wondered if Sarah had ever been to the house. Had she eaten at this table? Did John and Grayson ever talk about her?

Elena desperately wanted Bonnie to like Stefan, that was clear — and Bonnie had told Briar as such — but Bonnie just brought Briar along to kill the silence.

Plus, Elena and Briar were just starting to become friends and Briar felt a bit out of place.

And, yet, here she sat.

"Did you guys know that bowhead whales live for over two-hundred years and are the longest living mammal?" Briar asked, taking a bite of her pasta. "That's whack."

Bonnie smiled into her food, letting out a small laugh. "Why do you know that?"

"I like animals," Briar shrugged. "Did you know snakes have anywhere from three hundred to four hundred bones in their body?"

Bonnie laughed again, but it was Stefan who spoke up.

"Did you know starfish don't have brains?" Stefan inquired.

"I wish I were a starfish," Briar thought aloud. "No thoughts, head empty, vibing in the ocean. What a fucking life."

Elena laughed next, which prompted the other three to laugh, ice broken.

"Bonnie," Elena grabbed her friend's attention, taking advantage of her smile. "Why don't you tell Stefan about your family?"

"Um," Bonnie's smile fell, giving Elena a look. Briar felt a bit of annoyance for her cousin, knowing how uncomfortable sharing family secrets can be with strangers. "Divorced. Mom left. Live with my dad."

Technically, she lived with her grandmother because her dad was out of the picture — or that's what she'd told Briar, anyway.

"No," Elena looked at her pointedly. "About the witches?"

Briar caught the quick look Stefan sent Elena, something flickering in his gaze.

The fucker probably already knew.

How? Was he here for Bonnie? Why was he attending school?

Then again, why had the Cullens? Maybe she was overthinking it. The Cullens were nearly framed by James and his crazy nomads years ago — perhaps Stefan was being framed too.

His eyes were green.

How were his eyes green? How could he be in the sun?

Briar had so many fucking questions.

"Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches," Elena explained to Stefan. Bonnie sighed, looking down at her plate. Briar caught her eye and smiled softly. Bonnie's gaze softened. "It's really cool."

"Cool isn't the word I'd use," Bonnie corrected.

"Well, it's certainly interesting," Stefan looked to Bonnie, then glanced to Briar. "Briar, your tribe has some, um, stories too, right?"