Chapter 5

"Olivier, guess who visited me today?" Arthur said in a dry tone as Olivier entered the room.

"Tomwick?" Olivier had just come back from the dressmaker. Adrienne had drugged him all morning from one shop to another. She said she just wanted to buy him new clothes. But Olivier suspected Adrienne also wanted to enjoy the privacy of being in London. Nobody knew her here. And nobody knew him. They could tell everyone their story of being aunt and nephew and no one would even flinch at their statement. In their hometown Collieure everybody suspected the truth and people were often weirdly looking at them.

"It was dear Lucinda Hamington." Arthur shook his head unbelievably. "She brought scones and insisted on drinking tea together."

"How nice of her." Olivier tried to hide his smile.

"She should better mind her own business. Nevermind her. Boy, bring the chessboard. Let's have a rematch."

"I am afraid I need to go tutoring Miss Alberton." Olivier said apologetically. "But do you know who would want to play with you?"

"Who?"

"Mrs. Hamington." Olivier smiled and took his leave.

"Women don't know who to play chess!" But Olivier had already closed the door.

***

"Do we always have to sit during our lessons?" Olivier asked Florence, who was already seated at their usual spot.

"What do you mean?" She asked. Even Mary looked confused.

"It's such a beautiful spring afternoon. I propose we have our lesson today during a walk in Hyde Park. What do you think?" She fought about his words. It was rather strange to have a lesson during a walk, but it seemed like a nice idea.

"Mary, would you please fetch my bonnet?" And with those words they were off.

Hyde Park was indeed the perfect place to enjoy spring in London. Cherry trees were blooming, birds were singing and flowers were growing everywhere. Florence and Olivier were walking side by side. Mary followed them several steps behind. They were talking about everything and nothing. In French, of course. Suddenly Florence stood abruptly and narrowed her eyes.

"Is everything all right?" Olivier asked in his broken English, confused at her sudden stop. She was looking at a gentleman and a woman in the far distance. They were clearly enjoying their company.

"It is my fiance." She said in a hush voice as if they could hear her.

"Would you like to greet him?"

"Yes. No. Do you know the lady on his side?" Florence was still looking at them. The couple turned into another alley.

"Shall we follow them?" Olivier suggested and that finally got Florence attention. She turned to face him.

"No. They would notice us."

"Not if we would sneak up behind those bushes." Olivier grinned. "Come on" and he started to walk through the freshly trimmed lawn. Florence looked around if no one familiar was in sight.

"Mary, please wait here at the bench. I will be right back." And she quickly followed him behind the bushes.

If someone familiar would see them she had no doubt that she would be ruined. But right now, she only wanted to find out who the young lady was on his side. She noticed Olivier peaking through the bushes. He waved to her to come closer. They were now surrendered by trees and bushes and luckily no one could see them. She stepped to his side and peaked through the leaf hole. Henry and the unknown lady were now sitting on the opposite bench.

"I was only sixteen years old when I won my first riding competition." Henry proudly said. His companion looked impressed and continued waving her fan. It wasn't even hot outside to parade with such a large fan.

"Looks like your man has a friend." Olivier mussed. Florence sended him a murderous glare.

"And he is as usual bragging about his races," she put in. The lady suddenly laughed and dropped her fan. Henry kneeled down and picked it up. Grinning at her like a stupid puppy.

"Well, and here I was thinking I have found my prince," Florence whispered in an angry voice. Olivier didn't know what to comment upon it. His experience on romantic relationships and future husbands was literally zero.

"You know what the worst thing is?" Florence still looked at her fiance and the lady. "He never wants to go with me to walk around the park." Olivier remained silent. While she looked at them, he took a closer look at her. Her blond hair was in a sort of complicated braid pinned up. And she had that ridiculous blue bonnet. But she still looked beautiful. He tried to imagine how her hair would look loose. Did she have curls? How long was it actually?

"They are gone." She abruptly said and turned to him. She noticed his glazing and blushed. He turned his head around and pretended to have seen something very interesting up in the tree.

"Were you looking at me?" Now it was her turn to be amusing.

"No." he quickly said. They were standing still too close. But neither of them made a move. Suddenly Florence slowly reached up her hand and ran her fingers through his brown curls. Olivier froze. His heart has never beaten louder.

"I like your hair." She simply said and dropped her hand. "We should go back." And with those words the momentum abruptly ended.

***

Back on their way to Florence's home they were suspiciously silent. After another seven silent minutes they reached the Alberton House.

"The next lesson is on Friday, right?" Olivier asked.

"Oh yes. Good that you are reminding me. We will be in the country for my engagement party." After a moment of thinking she added. "Would you like to come?"

"As a guest?"

"Yes. As a guest. We have an uneven number of bachelors. I know my family is technically your employer, but since your granduncle is a baron, you have all the rights in the society to attend. Of course your mother or whoever is accompanying you here in London may also come. Of course I will send you an official invitation, but I just wanted to ask if-"

"Thank you." He interrupted her babbling. "I shall discuss it with Adrienne."

"Adrienne?"

"My... mmm... aunt." For a moment he had forgotten their official relationship. He wondered how long it would take him to tell the lie just like Adrienne without a flinch. He and Florence said their good-byes and departed each in their direction.

"Why, my dear god, did I do that?" Florence muttered to herself as she walked into her room. She was more than stunned about the outcome of her French lesson. She had only wished for another hour of Olivier Belmont's company, and somehow she had ended up inviting him to her engagement party. It was a bad idea indeed.