Chapter 14

That night Florence couldn't sleep. Her head was filled with hundreds of different thoughts.

How would she tell her parents about the breakoff?

How would she make them less angry?

What would she tell Henry?

What would she tell everyone else?

What would she tell Olivier?

Does he also love her?

What if he doesn't?

What if he does?

Where was Mary?

Where was Mary?

Where was Mary?

And then an answer came to her mind. Sarah. Mary had mentioned Sarah so many times in her diary, that it was obvious that they were at least good friends. Sarah, might know where Mary is. Sarah might have the answers. Florence had already asked her, of course. But Sarah only replied with "Oh, I don't know" and Florence went on. This time it won't happen.

Florence practically jumped from her bed and went to her drawer. She took her night lamp and a small bag. She hoped Sarah wouldn't yet be asleep. But it wasn't very late so the chances were good. She tiptoed once again into the servants quarter and knocked at Sarah's room. A few seconds later Florence heard damp footsteps and the door swung open. It was Rae, the other cook, who opened the door.

"Is Sarah there?" Florence whispered.

Rae raised her brows and answered in her polite voice "Yes, of course."

"Tell her to come to the kitchen this instant." And with that Florence turned on her heels and went off. She heard ruffling sounds from their bedroom and then the quick footsteps of Sarah.

"My Lady, it is rather a bit late to prepare a meal, but maybe I can heat up something from the dinner." Sarah stepped after Florence into the dark kitchen. The only light sources were the small windows and their bright lamps.

"Sarah," Florence sighed. "I do not want to eat. Close the door behind. We need to talk."

Sarah obediently closed the door. "What do you wish to talk about?"

Florence lifted the small bag and shook it. The sound of clinking coins filled the silent kitchen.

"This is for you." Florence holded the coin bag in Sarah's direction. Sarah took it hesitantly.

"Now, tell me where Mary is," Florence demanded in a strict voice. "And you rather speak the truth."

"I told you already that I don't know. Really. I am not lying."

"Do you know where she might be?"

Sarah fought about it for a moment. "No."

"Did you know she had a lover?"

Sarah hesitated. "Yes, she had told me once or twice about him."

"What did she tell you exactly?"

"I think his name is Samuel. She had met him on the market. They were not often seeing each other, obviously, but when they did she always came back so... so happy."

Florence took in her words. Why on earth did she know about this? Shouldn't she have noticed Mary's different behavior? Florence spended almost whole days in Mary's company and she didn't see that Mary's mind was probably somewhere else. Well, in truth Florence was so caught up in her own romantic problems that she couldn't have seen it. And now Mary is gone.