Chapter 12

It was Oliviers first time at such an event as the horse races. Riders and Horses were prepared, while the uncountless viewers were looking for their seats, making bets and talking with acquaintances. Olivier walked behind "uncle" Arthur and Sir George Tomwick. His heart leaped at the sudden sight of Florence and probably her friend. As soon as Florence saw them she excused herself from the lady and went into their direction.

"Hello Grandfather," she greeted George. "Good day Lord Wimbleton and Mr. Belmont."

Olivier hadn't seen her only for three days and yet it felt like eternity. He had a feeling he needed to talk to her. His mind went back to the night when he stood under her window. It was probably too much. And then the next day he had received a letter with the information that he was dismissed from his position as a french tutor. It was evidence that he had done something wrong.

"May I offer a short stroll before the races begin, Miss Alberton?" Olivier tried to say it with as much confidence as possible. He was still new to the Londoner etiquette. So if he said something wrong then he would at least say it in the right tone.

"Excellent idea!" Florence beamed. "Let's go this way!"

Oliver was more than surprised to see such a reaction. Arthur and George shared a glance with a smile but didn't comment. When Olivier and Florence were out of earshot, Olivier began to apologize.

"Don't apologize," she waved her hand. "It doesn't matter now. I have a much bigger problem. And I need your help."

"What happened?" He asked with a worried expression.

"Mary had disappeared."

"Your maid?"

"Yes. We have looked for her everywhere. But she is just gone. Without a single word. Nothing. And I fear this is all my fault," she sighed.

"Why? How could it be your fault?"

Florence looked around in her typical manner and lowered her voice "I think that I have told you once that she buys for me sometimes books from ..., well, let's say a special bookshop."

"Yes, you did."

"Well, that day I have also sent her to buy me something. But she hasn't returned ever since."

"When did it happen?"

"Two days ago."

"Not good," Olivier shook his head slowly. "Did she go alone?"

"Unfortunately, yes. She was the only one whom I could trust in our household. No one knows that she went to the bookshop except me. So, I want to go there and look for her. Ask the people. Maybe someone saw her. Maybe something bad happened to her."

"Couldn't you tell your parents?"

"Firstly, they said that Mary had probably found a better position at another household and had simply run away. I know Mary and she would never do that to me. And secondly, my parents would probably prison me in the basement for the rest of my life if they ever learned about that bookshop."

"Sounds a bit too dramatic."

"Well, maybe not for the rest of my life. But you get the point."

"Yes," he pondered. "And how do you plan to go to that bookshop on your own?"

"And here comes the part, where I ask you for help."

***

Olivier was long past the stage of taking life seriously. His life sometimes seemed like a tale. Always up and down. So, when he agreed to go with Florence the mysterious bookshop, he fought that life was once again making jokes on him. He had just accepted the fact that he will have to leave Florence alone and let her make her own decisions. And yet, here he was with Florence in a secretly borrowed carriage of Arthur.

"It was a clever idea with the clothes." Florence looked at her poor and long ago out of fashion gown. Over it she wore a dark brown cloak. She had pulled her hair in a simple braid on the side. She had found the clothes at their lately passed housekeeper's cabinet.

"Clothes make people," Olivier shrugged with a smile. "I learned it a long time ago." He himself looked like a footman or carriage driver.

Florence had never been in the bookshop herself, but luckily, she knew the address. Her face lit up with excitement. She had never ever closely been to such a part of London. Yes, everything looked old and poor. And dirty. There were probably rats at every corner. But it also was beautiful. The streets were busy with people buying from shops and markets. There were different smells from the bakeries and the kitchens. Children were playing on the streets. The newspaper boys were yelling and waving with the latest news.

"I think it's here. Bear Lane 68, right?" Olivier pointed at a small, almost hidden, bookshop.

Inside the shop, the walls were from top to bottom covered with full bookshelves. An old man was sitting behind a desk looking over some letters.

"Can I help you, mam?" the man asked in a raspy voice.

"Yes," Florence answered. "I am looking for my friend. Mary. Mary Miller. She is missing and I think that she was in this bookshop before she disappeared. It was two days ago."

"Mary Miller..." the man thought about it for a moment. "Sorry, but I can't remember her. How did she look?"

"She had a maid's dress on. She has brown hair and is about this tall," she showed with her hand almost her own seize.

The man looked at her a bit too long. "No, sorry. But I keep a register. Maybe I can look there."

"Thank you." At least they would know Mary did even make it to the shop.

"Oh, yesterday I started a new book. The old one was full. I am going to get it from the back room. Please do you and your husband wait a minute."

Florence blushed. "He is not-" she started but the old man was gone through another door.

She looked up at Olivier and just smiled. He also smiled with slightly pink cheeks.

"Here it is." The man was back with a heavy book. "Let's see... Mary Miller... Ah, yes. She bought a book here." He pointed at the entry.

04/06/1834, Mary Miller, Lady B's Sins and Ideas by Sarah Goosly, 3 $

"It must have been my cousin's son who had sold her this book. When I get new books from the printer, he watches over the shop. It is his writing."

"Can we speak with him?" Olivier inquired.

"He is out of town for a while. I don't know when he will be back."

***

"I have a feeling the man from the bookshop is lying," said Florence as she leaned back into the carriage's seat. After they had left the bookshop, they had asked some other sellers, but no one had seen anything.

"No, I don't think so. Yes, there was something suspicious about him, but I don't think that he could do something bad. He looked... honest. And good."

"Sometimes good people do bad things," she said. Then they both stared into the distance. They were passing the River Thames.

"I will break off my engagement with Lord Mackelbury," she said placidly. "I haven't told anyone yet. But I will. I will wait until they are less upset with our situation and then I will tell them the truth."

"What situation?" He asked after a few seconds.

"You and me," she chuckled nervously. "They said our behavior is very inappropriate."

"Inappropriate?" He echoed. "I haven't even started. Since I am here in London I was on my best behavior!"

"Indeed," she giggled. "You have been only sneaking through dark corridors, spying on my fiancé and now helping an unchaperoned Lady to go to a scandalous bookshop."

He turned around to look at her. His brown eyes were wild and unpredictable. Florence's heart started to beat faster.

"And now," he began with a wicked smile. "I am going to kiss that unchaperoned Lady."