The One With the Blackout (7)

Kat checked her watch again. Chandler was late and Phoebe's performance was about to start. Where is he? Kat thought impatiently, checking her watch for the hundredth time. Eventually, she gave up.

"Everybody?" Rachel crouched in front of the microphone while Kat leaned back on the couch. "Shh, shh. Uhh... Central Perk is proud to present the music of Miss Phoebe Buffay." Rachel clapped as she ran away and Kat clapped for her best friend.

"Thanks. Hi." Phoebe moved to the microphone to speak before she begun singing. "I want to start with a song that's about that moment when you suddenly realized what life is all about. Okay, here we go." She played a cord and the lights went out, "Okay, thank you very much."

***

"Wow," Rachel looked out the window, "This is so cool you guys. The entire city is blacked out." 

Monica pulled the phone away from her ear and said, "Mom says it's all of Manhattan, parts of Brooklyn and Queens, and they have no idea when it's coming back on."

"Wow, you guys," Rachel remarked, moving away from the window the a candle, "this is big."

"Pants and a sweater? Why, Mom?" Monica spoke to the phone. "Who am I gonna meet in a blackout? Power company guys? Eligible looters? Could we talk about this later? Okay." She hung up.

"Can I borrow the phone?" Phoebe asked, getting up and walking to Monica. "I want to call my apartment and check on my grandma." She bent to type in the number then stopped. "Wait, what's my number?"

Kat looked at Phoebe in confusion.

"Well, I never call me." Phoebe defended. Kat had to give her that.

***

Joey walked in carrying a Menorah. "Hi everyone."

Kat opened an eye and looked at the Italian. "Why...?"

"And officiating at tonight's blackout, is Rabbi Tribbiani."

"Well, Chandler's old roommate was Jewish and these are the only candles we have, so..." He grinned, "Happy Hanukkah, everyone."

Kat smiled and shook her head.

"Eww, look." Phoebe was somehow at the window and Kat got up to see, "Ugly Naked Guy lit a bunch of candles."

"Ooh. Ooh!"

Kat looked out the window and looked away, flinching.

"That had to hurt!" Rachel remarked.

***

As time passed, the friends found ways to busy themselves. At one point the phone rang and Monica answered it.

"Hello?" Monica turned to address the people in her apartment, then back to the phone, "It's Chandler! Are you okay?"

He must've said something confusing because Monica continued with, "What?" He repeated and Kat got up off the couch. "I have no idea what you just said." A second later the phone was handed to Kat.

"What up?"

"I'm trppd... in an ATM vstbl... with JLL GDCR." 

"You're joking."