Chapter 14

Chapter 14: John

It was the start of a new year and I decided to take Kate out to eat and then to the movies. At that time, we were still living in Mississippi. Unfortunately, my aunt and uncle were still upset with me, and my dad was angry with them for treating me that way. Due to the family tension, only a few members would attend our wedding - my dad, my sister Rose, and my cousin Lisa.

Kate's friend, Alex, would come to visit her, but I had my reservations about him. So, I expressed my concern to Kate saying, "I know Alex is your friend, but I don't trust him."

To which Kate replied, "John, Alex is your friend too. You grew up together. I don't think he would cause any problems for us. He's happy for us, and he said so himself."

"I don't trust him or Jill, so please be careful," I cautioned Kate.

"I promise to be careful," she replied.

The following day, I went to speak with Sara.

As I was walking towards her house, Sara noticed my arrival and asked, "John, what brings you here?"

I requested, "Can we talk?"

Sara curiously asked, "What would you like to talk about?"

I inquired, "Do you know if Alex is happy for Kate and me?"

Sara replied, "I am not entirely sure. He appears to be happy, but he has not conveyed any anger towards you and Kate for getting married. In case he is upset, he is doing an excellent job of hiding it. If you are concerned about Alex, I will talk to him, and I will also ensure Kate's safety."

"I appreciate it. I hope my concerns about Alex are unfounded. I care for Alex like a sibling," I responded.

"Don't worry, Kate cares deeply for you and sees Alex only as a friend. I'll keep an eye on him," Sara assured me.

Knowing Sara would assist me made me feel a bit relieved. I considered speaking with Alex to maintain a positive relationship with him. I also planned to discuss the situation with Charles and Mark, who were close friends with Alex and might have insight into his actions.

I tried to reach Charles, but he didn't pick up. So, I called Mark instead. Mark answered and I expressed my concerns about Alex. Mark reassured me that Alex seemed fine and was now dating multiple girls. This news made me feel relieved, realizing that my worries may have been unnecessary.

James

James went to visit Jill and shared with her that Kate had filed a protection order against him. He couldn't get close to her, or he would be arrested. James then asked Jill if she had thought of a plan to break up John and Kate. Jill replied that she hadn't, but she knew that Alex had a plan of his own. James was surprised to hear this, as he thought Alex was happy for Kate and John. Jill clarified that Alex had been heard talking to Charles about breaking them up, but she didn't know the details of their plan.

Jill

Jill was in a rush to come up with a plan as Kate and John's wedding was only a month away. She didn't know what to do and was counting on Alex to have a good plan. She was planning to go to Mississippi and hoped to come up with a plan there.

Alex

Sara went to find Alex, who she knew was staying in Mississippi and had recently rented an apartment. When she arrived at Alex's place, he answered the door before she could knock. Alex asked what she wanted, and Sara replied that she needed to talk to him. She then expressed her concern about Alex's feelings for Kate and warned him not to interfere with her and John's engagement if he truly cared for Kate.