Chapter 12

Ana leaned against the wall, the blanket still wrapped around her with Ghost against the wall on the floor as they continued to talk. "You hate pink, you say it feels like it mocks you whenever you see it." Ghost laughed. Ana's jaw dropped, "I've never told anyone that before," she laughed. "I know," Ghost interrupted, "you said you didn't want to tell anyone because you thought it made you sound crazy." Ana nodded and laughed. "It does!" she said loudly. Ghost held his hands up, "I'm not gonna agree or disagree." he said and rested his hands on his knees again. Ana eased her laughter as she looked down at Ghost, her mind scrambling for anything of him that she could remember. After a moment she spoke, "Riley," she said simply. Ghost looked at her curiously. "K9 Riley." she said. Ghost nodded, "What about him?" he asked. "He gets his name from you, Simon Riley." she said as the thoughts continued to come to her slowly. Ghost nodded again, "Yeah," Ana sighed, "I haven't seen him in ages." she says as she remembers that last time she saw Riley. 

While stationed in the East, Ana and Riley were running early in the morning. It was nearly perfect but the cool breeze made chills form over Ana's sweat covered skin. As she stopped, she rested her hands on her knees and steadied her breathing. "I'm getting too old for this," she said between breaths. Riley barked as he looked at her and panted. "What are you trying to say?" Ana asked, offended. Riley barked again. "How rude," Ana laughed. 

"Where is he?" Ana asked. Ghost sighed, "About a year ago, he was shot in the thigh. He recovered but he doesn't run the same. Still goes on missions but not as often. Logan is his keeper until we get back." Ana adjusted again, "Logan?" she asked. "Logan Walker, he's a sergeant in the federation army. You've met him once or twice. You didn't like him because he's not much of a talker." Ghost laughed quietly. "I don't trust people that don't talk." she shrugged. "Yet, you trusted me." Ghost said. Ana bit her lip subtly. "Guess there was a reason for that." she smiled then yawned. "Get some sleep," Ghost said as he fought off the urge to yawn as well, "I'll visit you later." he smiled before pulling his mask back over his face. Ana scooted down and laid down. Ghost was unsure of how to part ways. He wanted to comfort her but didn't want to push it. "When will you come by again?" Ana asked, breaking Ghost away from his busy mind. "Uh," he glanced at his watch, "In a few hours, I need a nap, too." he said as he felt his eyelids getting heavier. Ana stared at him for a moment, "Do you have to leave?" she asked. Ghost shook his head, "I can sleep here. I've slept in worse places." he joked as he gestured to the floor. "Well you don't have to sleep down there." Ana said with a smile and held her hand out. "Bed is kinda small." he said softly. Ana lifted the blanket with the other hand. "I'm sure we used to lay together," Ghost kicked his boots off and let his gear fall to the floor. "Yes, we did." he smiled and grabbed her hand, laying next to her. His feet hanging off the end of the bed. She laid on his chest. They were quiet for a moment. "My mind doesn't know you, but I think my heart does." she said tiredly, her heart beating in her ear like a steady drum. Ana tried to cover Ghost with the thin blanket but it only covered half of his torso. Ghost laughed through his nose. "Don't make fun of me," Ana laughed in return. "I would never," Ghost shook his head. He felt her body relax into him as he rested his arm over her back. "Simon," she said after it was quiet again. He looked down at her, humming in response and she was looking up at him, "what if I don't remember, all of you?" her tone was distant, somber. Ghost's chest ached at the thought. "I don't know, sweetheart." he said truthfully. What would he do if the woman he loved never remembered him again? His throat stung at the thought. "I hope you remember enough to stay with me." he said softly. Ana heard the heartache in is tone, making her own heart ache with regret. 

After sleeping for a few hours, Ghost woke up. He was in the same position he fell asleep in. Ana still laid on his chest, snoring gently. He smiled at the sight of her. Her lips were parted slightly, her hair was a tangled mess. He remembered how relaxed she'd get when he ran his hands through her hair. I carefully began stroking her hair. She shifted slightly, adjusting the way she laid. Her eyes fluttered open, looking up at Ghost and nuzzling into more. "Hi," she said her voice still tired. "Hi, sweetheart," Ghost smiled under his mask. "What time is it?" Ana asked as she laid an arm over his waist. Ghost checked his watch, "almost 1 in the afternoon." He rested his hand behind his head. "I'm starving." she whined. Ghost laughed, his shoulders bouncing gently. "Always so needy," He patted her back gently, "Come on, I'll take you to get something to eat." Ana sat up and stretched her arms out. "Am I allowed to leave?" she asked. "I don't know, nor do I care. You're not a criminal, you don't need to be locked away like one." Ghost said before pounding on the door. When it opened, Price was standing there smiling. "Have her back in 2 hours." Ghost nodded as he slipped his mask back over his face and his boots on his feet. "Sure thing, sir."