Chapter 11

Laswell sat in her office, the lights turned low. "How long do you plan on staying in here, Kate?" Price asked as he stood near the closed door. Kate looked at him with defeated eyes, "You want to deal with Riley? I sure as hell don't." She said as she looked away from him, taking a drink of her whiskey. She swallowed harshly, "This is my fault, I should've fought this more." Price shook his head. "No, it's on all of us. First time she was triggered, the same thing happened. Shoulda known." He gave her a guilty smile. Kate reached into her drawer, pulling a glass similar to hers, and poured Price a drink as well. She held it out for him. He took it and sat across from her. 

There was buzzing on Laswell's desk. She looked at it and silenced it, sighing heavily. "Stacy wants you home, go home." Price said. Laswell shook her head, "Surprisingly, I'd rather be here. My mother and father-in-law are visiting. She doesn't want to deal with her parents alone. Riley's anger is easier to handle." she laughed quietly. "I'd take married life over a pissed off Simon any day." Price raised his glass before taking another drink. "It's not being married I hate," she laughed again, "it's what comes with it, or I guess, who comes with it." Price nodded. "We fucked up, bad." he said with a low voice. Laswell downed the rest of her drink, "Sure as hell did." she agreed. -

Ghost sat in the mess hall at a table alone. His chin rested on his hands as they laid against the table. It was quiet except the squeaking of Ghost's boots on the floor as his knee bounced with anger and anxiety. He also felt helpless. Ana was off in a sealed room, also alone. And probably confused, scared. My Ana needs me, but she doesn't know me. He heard the door open behind him, the metal clanking and creaking loudly. Ghost didn't bother to look to see who came in. 

Soap looked at Ghost, knowing to approach him carefully. He walked slowly, his nerves almost getting the best of him. "'ey, LT." he said softly, his tone somber. Ghost didn't respond, he only kept his eyes on the table. Soap rubbed his hands together, wondering if there were any words to make Ghost feel better at the situation they were once again in. "I'm sorry... about Ana." he said with the same tone. Ghost shook his head gently, though Soap didn't know if he meant it wasn't his fault or that it was pointless to hear apologies. Soap sat next to him, only leg on the outside of the bench. He looked down at his friend, his face concealed behind a mask but swore he felt the emotions that Ghost surely gave off. 

They sat quietly for a while, Soap didn't know what to say. What could he say? The woman Ghost had lost more than once, lost again. The shell he knew held a mind that didn't know him one bit. Soap's thoughts were interrupted by a quiet sniffle from Ghost. Soap cautiously laid a hand on Ghost's back, realizing the sniffle was Ghost releasing the chaos of emotions that he felt. "'t's alright, LT. We'll figure it out." he said softly. "How, Johnny?" Ghost's words trembled, his voice cracking slightly. Soap fought back his own tears. The sadness he both felt for Ghost, and himself. He lost his friend. Again. "I can't lose her a third time, Johnny." 

Ana sat on a single bed, her knees to her chest. She rocked subtly, trying to make sense of where she was and who she was surrounded by. The small room she was locked in was nearly empty, only a bed, chair and a mirror kept her company. The men that escorted her in this room were complete strangers. The woman had said said her name, but Ana had no memory of her. Her face was cool from the tears that kept coming no matter how hard she fought them off. She was lost. She remembered no one and nothing since she didn't even know how long. The clothes on her small body, smaller than she remembered, she had no memory putting them on. Her hair shorter than she knew as well. Her head pounded. 

There was a light knock on the door and Ana looked at the door. The sound of the door unlocking echoed off the almost empty walls. When the door opened, the same man from earlier walked in. He wore an odd fishing-like hat with a similarly odd mustache. He smiled gently, but it didn't make her feel at ease. "Hi, Ana." he said softly. The door closed behind him as he stood there. She didn't greet him, only looked at him with fearful eyes and pulled her knees tighter to her chest. "I'm not going to hurt you, I just want to help." he said with his hands up. Ana shook her head, but didn't say anything. "Ana," the man sighed, "I'm Captain John Price. I'm part of Task Force 141. You were part of it at one point. Do you remember that?" He asked. Ana stared at him, her expression unreadable. Ana hadn't remembered any Task Force 141 but remembered when she first joined the military. "You came to us a while ago. We were happy to have you." he smiled again but still brought Ana no comfort. "You were with us for a few years before you were captured, and tortured with Ghost. Do you remember him? Simon Riley?" he asked. Ana shook her head, not a lie. What kind of asshole calls himself 'Ghost'?