ii. you're charming, got everybody starstruck

Ever since that day in fifth grade JJ and Lacy have been inseparable

Ever since that day in fifth grade JJ and Lacy have been inseparable. They had so much in common, even if they expressed it differently. Between the two, there was never a dull moment. JJ was originally nervous to introduce his new friend to his life-long buddy, John B, in fear of her choosing she liked John better, but when the three of them would hangout and Lacy and JJ would sneak glances at each other when he wasn't looking, JJ knew it would all be alright.

The two blondes were often spotted sitting on the dock outside of John B's house, the Chateau, with their feet in the water talking about anything under the sun. JJ would peek over towards her when she would close her eyes to enjoy the fresh air. He would notice the small things about her that others wouldn't know unless they were to get this close, to which he probably would've killed them after.

He noticed how even though her eyes were closed, her soft smile remained. How her cheekbones continued to spot more and more freckles within each time they would meet in this exact spot. How her blonde locks began to dry wavily after their morning swim. And just how damn beautiful she looked.

"Can you believe we're gonna be college kids soon? Remember when I was taller than you? Oh how the times have changed Mr. Maybank," Lacy quipped as a giggle left her mouth at the memory she was envisioning with her eyes closed to the scorching Kildare sun. Her legs swung lightly in the water below creating ripples around them.

A now much taller JJ snapped out of the trance he had found himself in while looking at her, "Oh shut up already," he nudged her with his elbow playfully. "I know though it's pretty wild. Can't believe I've dealt with your ass for over seven years now. When am I gonna be put out of my misery?"

She scoffs with a playful hand falling across her heart, "Okay Mr. Comedian, looks like you're not getting your birthday present tonight". The corners of her mouth curve up as her eyes lock on his. His eyes that have only searched for her since the day they met.

"Wait! I take it back! You are so wonderful and special and um, cool as some people would say. Not me, but others so I'll count it. Now where's this present we're talking about?" His eyes unwavering from hers with a cocky grin plastered on his sun kissed face.

She gently pushes his cheek to the side but waits to speak until his eyes regain their focus on her. "You're gonna have to wait and see. And I promise it's definitely worth the wait!" she replies while using her hands to help push herself up into a standing position. She slips her flip flops on as she begins back towards the yard. "I'll see you at the kegger birthday boy!" she shouts from her position now almost towards the driveway where her car was parked, giving him a quick salute.

JJ watches her walk away before yelling back, 'I'm counting on it!"

As Lacy becomes out of sight, JJ's seated position now turns into lying as he lowers his back towards the dock and drops his hat over his eyes. As much as he tries to focus on anything else in the world, his brain continues to wander back towards his blonde best friend that moments ago had warmed the seat next to him. His right hand fidgets with the rings wrapped around his left as he shakes his head with a groan.