iii. you always seem to go for the obvious, instead of me

The boneyard was packed

And by packed I mean Kooks, Pogues, and Tourons gathered as if it were a Outer Banks tourist attraction. But what else could you expect for the 19th birthday of the one and only, star-studded, reckless, yet effortlessly charming JJ Maybank.

Prior to the two girls' arrival, JJ spent his afternoon attempting to tame his hair and find a shirt that did not consist of any stains. He settled on his trusty brown khaki shorts and a navy blue cut-off tank top featuring a yellow-tailed tuna on the back. As crowds began to arrive JJ greeted guests with John B and Pope by his side, giving half-hearted "good to see you's" to each person who passed, doling out lukewarm beer in probably-should've-been-tossed-out-already red solo cups. While more and more people arrived, his eyes scanned for the one person that it would be actually great to see.

With arms intertwined, Kie and Lacy took their first steps onto the sandy beach of the boneyard. Smiles overtook both girls' faces at the thought of how their night was about to go. Their smiles illuminated the dusk as they began their descent towards the clusters of teens, drawing the attention of everyone around them. After all, who could resist the radiant presence of the two girls?

"I'll be right back," Lacy murmures, giving Kie's arm a reassuring squeeze before weaving her way through the crowd towards the sun-kissed blonde who seemed engrossed in juggling between nursing his fifth beer and tending to keg duties.

With a gentle tap on the shoulder, JJ whips around, eyes slowly regaining focus on his flower dressed,  beautiful best friend who was greeting him with a million dollar smile.

"There's my girl!" his calloused fingers wrapping around her waist as he pulled her into a warm hug. "I've been waiting for you," he murmures, his words barely audible as he buried his face in her hair.

Lacy felt a rush of warmth spread through her at his embrace, her cheeks flushing pink at his endearing words. "Hey, birthday boy. Long time no see!" she replied playfully, running a hand through his golden locks as he set her gently back on the ground. Behind JJ's back, John B stood grinning to himself, silently wondering how the two of them couldn't see what was so obvious to everyone else.

"Since you're late, it seems like you've got some catching up to do, sunshine," JJ teases, passing her a solo cup filled to the brim. "And don't think I forgot about my present."

Lacy flashed him an irresistible smile, feeling a playful spark ignite between them. "Good things come to those who wait," she teases back, reaching up to pinch his cheek lightly before trailing her fingers along his lip, the gentle touch lingering for a moment before she withdrew her hand and accepted the cup from him.

JJ's gaze held hers, a small smirk playing at the corner of his lips. "I'm patient," he murmures, taking a gulp from his own cup without breaking eye contact.