(VOL. 1) Chapter 1: Dana's Backstory

(First POV)

My name is Dana Rosenblatt. I am 19 years old. I have shoulder-length red hair and blue-green eyes. And I am a half-fairy. The world I live in is called Evren.

The kingdom where I was born is called Elfame, or the Land of Eternal Spring, as others call it. It got its nickname because it's always covered in flowers that never fade and it never snows; in fact, it never even gets cold here. To the north of us is the human empire of Duine, and to the south are the elf colonies, also known as Ferngully. West is a region of mountains. East are more human and elf, plus monster settlements.

As you may have guessed, Elfame is the kingdom of the fairies; though many humans and elves, plus a few other races, also call this place home. Our wise and beautiful queen, Aine, rules it.

With her youthful looks, no one would ever guess she's over three thousand years old

With her youthful looks, no one would ever guess she's over three thousand years old. When certain conditions are met, fairies stop aging. Another part of our culture is our naming ceremony.

The naming ceremony, which happens on the first day of every season, is where all young fairies stand before the queen. One by one, each fairy goes up to the podium and touches the jewel on Queen Aine's scepter. When they do that, it glows a color reflecting their personality, and their past deeds, both good and bad, and the spirit inside the jewel calls out their new name.

For the record, yes, half-fairies like me participate in the ceremony; and mine fell on my birthday.

How naming works among fairies can be a little tricky for anyone who's not a fairy, or those who didn't grow up in Elfame. But the way it works is that your parents give you a name at birth, just like humans do, and you share a family name. The naming ceremony is where all the young fairies get their title name, or middle name, as humans call it.

Now ordinarily, you have to be at least one hundred years old, a centurial as we call them, to get your title name. But if you're a half-fairy, you only need to complete certain quests or turn twenty. For me, it was the quests, which I completed at sixteen. And boy were the other sixteen-year-olds green with envy that day.

Until my turn at the podium came and the spirit gave me the title name: Belladonna.

The title Belladonna is very bad here in Elfame. To the fairies, anyone with that name will bring misfortune to the kingdom or destruction to the world of Evren. Even the Duine Empire and Ferngully see it as a bad omen.

To be fair, the fairies in the past who got the title of Belladonna caused nothing but chaos and/or destruction for Evren. The last one started a war between the fairies and the demons three thousand years ago. A war that's still going on today.

Needless to say, my life since then has downgraded from content to barely tolerable. If it weren't for Queen Aine, I'd be dead if not banished forever to the underworld.