Chapter 5: The Sorting and a Reunion

Everyone was expecting the demon's royal capital to be much like the underworld itself and we all thought the demon king's castle would be a dark, creepy, evil-looking citadel.

To our surprise, none of that was true. Frankly, Asmodeus and Elfame weren't any different from each other; except Asmodeus's trees all have leaves instead of flowers. And the royal capital, Chernobog, was as lively as ours.

As the many demons watched and stared curiously at the wagons, many of the fairies ducked and covered their heads, saying under their breath; 'this can't be happening' or 'this is all a terrible dream'. Ugh, it's enough to test the patience of a saint. I can't blame them for being scared, but ugh.

When we arrived at the temple, the drivers escorted us inside while the guards carried our luggage. (FYI: The temple was more on par with what we thought a demon's temple would look like. In other words, the entire exterior was pitch-black.)

Inside the temple stood three elderly priests.

At first, their human-like appearance calmed everyone down. Until they opened their eyes and we saw that the wrinkles on their foreheads were three extra eyes, which were pitch black with red irises and gold pupils. (In short, the priests all have five eyes.)

Needless to say, the other fairies all shrieked or fainted. Except the warriors, they tensed as if ready for battle.

"Good grief," I muttered while pinching the bridge of my nose, sighing in aggravation.

"Are they alright?" the priest on the left, the only one without a beard, asked, genuinely worried.

"They've been like this all day," one of the drivers, whose name I don't know, explained dryly.

"They've been like this since we left Elfame," I corrected.

"Then why didn't they send more like your warriors over there?" The middle priest asked, gesturing to said warriors. "Did they only send pariahs and weak-hearted outcasts?"

"I'm the only pariah they sent," I told them. "Everyone else just drew the short straw. Chamberlain Eiken's words, not mine."

"What in all of creation were those snobs thinking?" the priest on the right demanded, shaking his head.

"What was our king thinking?" his friend muttered under his breath.

"Let's use this as an opportunity to legally get rid of this one," I answered with a shrug, ignoring what the priest who mentioned the king said.

"That'sss cold," Xem hissed.

"Nail on the head," the blue fairy told me from her place on the floor. "I was there when the royal council drew the slots."

The priests sighed. "Wait here," the center one began. "We'll get the head priest and then we can start sending you ladies to your new homes."

After the priests and the guards left, the other fairies slowly got up.

"Forget this!" exclaimed a long, dark blonde-haired, green-eyed fairy with rose-pink dragonfly wings and big boobs. "I'm getting out of here!" She and all the others ran over to the double doors but found them locked.

When they tried to fly to the open windows, to our complete and utter shock, we found out that none of us could fly.

While many of them, even the warriors, panicked, Chepi said loudly while gesturing for their attention; "Everyone, everyone! This is something my father told me before we left Elfame! While the device will stop the demons from devouring our essence, it will also prevent us from using our mana!"