Chapter 14 - Overboard

REVISED

• • •

Jude's words had come out all wrong, and he could immediately tell by Vienna's barely perceptible reaction. He cringed internally, realizing his attempt at conversation had failed miserably. Vienna's calm demeanor remained, though she clearly struggled to grasp the awkwardly phrased sentiment.

Vienna started at him with a deadpanned look, "I mean, I sort of saw this coming, but you definitely could've articulated it better,"

Jude slid his hands into the side pockets of his jeans to keep him from fidgeting with his hands. "Yeah.. I know, that did come out entirely wrong—I'm sorry, Vie," Jude frowned slightly and looked down at the table for a moment before talking again.

"It's just... things have been rocky between us lately and not in a way that we can really control. I mean—we can control it, but I think we've just gotten to a point where our relationship feels more like we're friends than an actual couple,"

Vienna listened intently, her gaze fixed on Jude. She scrutinized his every movement, expression, and body language. Her focus was entirely on his words as she tried to process and understand his explanation, seeking to justify the reasons behind their breakup.

"I know we have that strong physical part of our relationship but if I'm being honest with you, I just don't feel like we have a strong emotional connection.. at least not like before,"

Vienna's chest tightened as she absorbed Jude's words, her heart pounding rapidly. The atmosphere around them grew thick with tension, and an oppressive silence fell over them. Each passing moment seemed to stretch endlessly, as they both grappled with the weight of the revelation and their own tumultuous thoughts.

"Is this became of someone? I feel like I'm missing something here," Vienna finally spit out.

Jude's eyes darted up at her, furrowing his eyebrows. His eyes shifted down towards the surface of the table, reluctant to reply to what Vienna had asked.

Suddenly, the waitress walked back over to the table, "Are you two ready to order?"

Vienna looked over at the waitress, slightly frustrated by all of these distractions that were keeping her away from this conversation with Jude. "Not yet," she replied in a firm tone. The waitress noticed that something was going on between the two and decided to rush off, not wanting to bother them.

"It is, isn't it?" Vienna asked again.

Jude shook his head slightly, "No—it's not someone and you know that."

"But someone's influenced this decision?"

Jude shook his head again, still unsure of how to reply to her.

"As much as I agree with your explanation as to why you want to break up with me, I strongly feel like someone influenced at least some of this decision. And don't even try to lie, Jude. Because you know damn well," she kept her arms crossed over her chest, her legs crossed.

"I'm not stupid, either. I just don't understand why you all of the sudden decided to break up with me out of the blue. I get that we've lacked emotional intimacy, but if you've 'been' feeling this way, why are you doing this now out of all the other times you could've done this and told me this sooner?" she added.