10

As I comforted Leah and she rested her head on my shoulder, I couldn't ignore the strong scent of alcohol emanating from her, but I didn't mind. Then, to my dismay, Chloe appeared and took a seat next to me. I wondered how I could politely get rid of her.

I glanced at Leah, who looked visibly uncomfortable, before turning back to Chloe. "Actually, Chloe, Leah and I were just having a moment," I said, hoping she'd take the hint.

But Chloe didn't seem to catch on. Instead, she plopped down on the empty space beside me, completely ignoring Leah's presence.

Leah shot me a pleading look, but I could tell she didn't want to cause a scene. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

"Hey, Chloe, do you mind giving us a bit of space?" I said, trying to sound polite but firm.

Chloe raised an eyebrow, but then she shrugged nonchalantly. "Sure, no problem," she said, but her tone suggested otherwise.

As she sauntered off, I breathed a sigh of relief, grateful to have dodged that awkward encounter.

"You're a bit tipsy, I'd say," I chuckled, glancing down at Leah.

She raised an eyebrow. "Tipsy? How tipsy?"

"You've had a few too many," I replied with a smile. "But don't worry, you're in good hands."

Leah grinned. "Good hands? Whose hands?"

I chuckled. "Mine, of course."

We sat like that for a few moments, the sounds of the party fading into the background. I turned to Leah, noticing her distant expression.

"What's on your mind?" I asked gently.

She chuckled softly, meeting my gaze. "Mind if I get another drink?"

"Sure, just take it easy," I replied, giving her a reassuring smile. "I'll keep an eye on things here."

Leah nodded, offering a grateful smile before heading off to refill her drink. Meanwhile, I kept an eye on Chloe, hoping she wouldn't try to interrupt our moment again.

Fortunately, Leah returned shortly, and I gestured for her to join me on the sofa, which she did, taking a sip of her drink. We exchanged stories about our experiences at the party, and I filled her in on my conversation with Alessia.

"Can we go home? I'm tired," she murmured.

"No problem. Should I let Beth know we're leaving?" I asked, mindful of Leah's ex potentially still being around.

Leah nodded wearily, and I went to find Beth amidst the crowd. After explaining the situation, Beth assured me she'd handle things and we could leave whenever we were ready. I returned to Leah, who was now standing by the door, looking exhausted.

"Ready to head out?" I asked, offering her a supportive smile.

She nodded, grateful, and together we made our way out of the bustling party and into the cool night air.

I gently guided her to the passenger side, wrapping my arm around her for support.

"I'm not that drunk!" she protested.