~ Chapter 13 ~

Past

Practice had just ended and Rylinn had to rush out the moment it was over for a doctor's appointment. I nervously walk over to coach Langdons office, and lean on the doorway. She said to let her know if I needed a ride and the School made an announcement to let anyone who rode the city buses know that they weren't running today. The rumor is that there was a bomb threat so they shut down all the routes until they could get it sorted out. I was gonna get a ride from Rylinn but then her mom texted her to remind her that she had a doctor's appointment immediately after practice. So I told her not to worry about me and that I'd catch a ride home with someone else.

It takes Langdon a moment to realize I'm here, but when she does she looks up and smiles. "Hey Dani, what's up?"

I rub my arm nervously, I can't exactly walk, it would take forever, and the children's home is understaffed this week. I guess a lot of people have been getting sick, so there isn't anyone there that could pick me up. "I um, you said," I struggle with finding the words to ask.

"Would you like a ride home? I know the buses aren't running today." She asks, an amused smile resting comfortably on her face. I nod, and she shuts her laptop. "Alright, let me lock everything up, and then we can head that way."

She says it so easily, as if her having to stop what she was doing wasn't annoying at all. "Are you sure?, you seemed busy?"

She shakes her head, "I'm just creating lesson plans for the sex Ed seminar the principal roped me into doing. Honestly, I'd love a break." She laughs, putting her stuff in her bag and walking to the door where I'm still standing.

I smile, relieved that she doesn't seem bothered at all, "okay cool."

As we're walking through the parking lot she looks over at me, "so how's classes going?"

I shrug, "they're okay, science is kind of hard, but I'll manage." She nods, and after a second I ask her a question. "So do you really have to teach the sex Ed seminar?"

This makes her laugh, "yeah, normally the health science teacher does it, but she ironically just left on maternity leave, so now it's up to me."

"What do you mean ironically?" I ask as we get in the car.

She looks over at me, hand freezing with the keys in the ignition but not turning it. "We'll because she's pregnant, you do know how babies are made, right?"

I look at her confused, "what does sex and baby's have to do with each other?"

Her eyes widen and she goes pale for a second as she stares at me, "you really don't know?"

I laugh at the expression of complete panic that she might have to explain it to me. "Of course I know, I was just joking. I'm sorry I didn't think you'd believe me." For a second I start to panic, feeling like I made a mistake, but then she laughs too.

"You really had me for a second," she finally turns the car on.

Present

Carmen takes me to the visiting room of the DCF office where a man and a woman are sitting on the couch. When we enter the room she smiles and shakes their hands as they stand up. "Hi it's so nice to see you again."

The man smiles "you too," then they both turn to me. "And we're so excited to meet you, we've heard a lot of great things." He holds his hand out to me to shake but I just stare at it before sitting down in a chair across from the couch.

He awkwardly takes his hand back as he and his wife sit down. "So uh, Daniela-"

"It's Dani," I cut them off and Carmen freezes for a second before giving me a warning look.