Chapter 12

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

After that, everything became a blur. As quickly as we could, we prepared for battle and marched to the Fushimi magistrate's office. There were a number of the Kyoto Judiciary Commissioner's men were gathered there as well, in preparation for battle with the Choshu.

Walking proudly in front of the men, Kondou approached the government officials standing near the gate. "We the Shinsengumi, are reporting as requested by Lord Matsudaira Katamori, the Lieutenent-General of the Aizu."

Matsudaira Katamori was the lord of the Aizu Domain, and also the Kyoto Military Commissioner, which made him a very important person. His name would have been immediately recognized.

The man at the gate seemed surprised to see the Shinsengumi. "You were told to report here? But we received no such orders."

Okay first I have to wear this heavily layered clothing in the middle of summer which I am sweating the hell in and now this person is saying he didn't receive orders?  This doesn't make any sense.

Maybe sensing my frustration, Saito leaned over and whispered under his breath."If they haven't received notice of our orders, the lines of communication are likely in disarray We can assume, therefore, that this conflict has become rather chaotic."

"Chaotic huh..." I say keeping my voice at a whisper. "Do you mean, the Choshu is overpowering the shogunate's forces?"

"Not necessarily. However, I do suspect that the enemy is doing well.

The Judiciary Commissioner supposedly answered to the Military Commissioner, but the Military Commissioner's office was controlled by the Aizu domain, and the Kuwana Domain controlled the Judiciary Commissioner's office.

I didn't fully understand the relationships between the different domains, but so far as I knew the Aizu and Kuwana had never been on very good terms with one another. Oh how I wish I payed more attention in school.

"Nonetheless, our assistance has been formally requested! If you could only speak to our supervi-"

"It wouldn't make a difference. Now get out of here. We have no use for Mibu's wolves.

Ah, right. They were called that huh. I thought it was a cool title at the time when I learned it at school, but for them, it seems to stick to them like a bug. A nasty one.

"There's nothing we can do here, Chief. We should leave the magistrate alone and meet up with the Aizu Domain's men all on our own." Saito said in his usual monotone sound.

Kondou nodded in agreement, but his frown didn't fade. "Yes, I agree. This is our only choice. We must looked for an officer of the military Commissioner."

And with that, the Shinsengumi set off to find the soldiers of the Aizu Domain.

Night had fallen by the time we arrived at Kujo Beach. I swear, this is the most I ever walked.

After we left the Fushimi magistrate's office, we made way for the Aizu manor. Once we arrived, we related our encounter at the magistrate's office and asked for new orders. The manor official we met with directed us to go to Kujo Beach, which we did, However...

"What? The Shinsengumi is to join us?"  asked an Aizu officer. "We've received no such orders. I apologize but could you go speak to the commander at the manor-"

Nagakura apparently, had enough. "What the hell?! He was the one who told us to come here! You wanna play us, fine, but you're gonna be disobeying a direct order from your superior, pal! You really wanna do that?!"

The Aizu officer opened and closed his mouth a few times, then fell silent.

I tried to keep my face neutral, but I just couldn't hid a grin from spreading on my face.

"I would like to speak to your commanding officer, if I might. Do you think you might be able to take me to him?" Kondou said smiling with his hands of his hips.

At last, after a great deal of trouble, we were allowed to remain with the troops at Kujo Beach. The chief and the captains left the rest of us to speak with the Aizu commanders. They returned sometime later, looking drained and tired.

Inoue, who'd gone with them, also wore a bitter sort of half smile. "Well, it would seems that the ,em stationed here are reserves and not the main force of their army. Their main force has been committed to the defense of Hamaguri Gate."

Does that mean they're treating the Shinsengumi as reserves? If the reserves weren't called into battle, then the Shinsengumi would never be given a chance to show their worth.

"Then why the hell did they send us a message acting like this was some emergency?" Nagakura said with agitation.

"We can't predict what might happen. We may be called upon to rush into battle. There is little else we can do, for now." Saito explained.

It seems that all we can do right now is wait.

There was a chance we'd be called to action during the night and so the men chose to stay awake, ready to move.

Chizuru and I tried our hardest to stay awake with everyone but every so often we found ourselves struggling to keep awake, our heads bobbing up and down. Despite all our efforts, we fell asleep by dawn.

The sun had risen when I had finally woken up when it happened.