Chapter 43

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

A few moments later, we wound ourselves in our room.

"I know I've given you a terrible amount of things to think on this evening and I'm awfully sorry."

Now that we were alone, she was less formal. This was the Sen I had met in Kyoto, all those moths ago.

"No, it's alright. I apologize for the things they said."

"Well, that's to be expected I fear. I was asking rather a lot from them and frightfully suddenly. Not many humans would accept the existence of demons so readily."

I nodded at this comment. Demons were similar to humans but different. We possessed far greater strength and healing abilities than theirs and some of us can run for tens of leagues in a single day. For many hundred years, we lived in Japan, hidden from the eyes of humans.

Why? Because we have possessed what they do not, and so they have seen us a strange beings and something to loathe. In the world of men, we are seen as monsters, as fearsome demons.

"But enough of that! On to business. What do you say to my offer? Have you thought on it?"

I had indeed. Sen was the Princess Yase and I was a member of the Suzumori clan. My duty is to protect the princess...but can I really leave the Shinsengumi?

"The Shinsengumi seems to believe that they can protect you. Though I do not doubt their dedication, I confess, I do doubt their ability."

Perhaps what she said was true. For humans to stand against demons was practically asking for death. The Shinsengumi were powerful and skilled. I had seen them face overwhelming odds and emerge victorious but always those odds had been only human. The strength of even a single demon was something great and terrible; of that, there was no doubt. We had all seen so firsthand, and some had even lost their lives to that strength. Even the captains had nearly fallen before them.

"Will you come with us then? It is dangerous for you to remain with the Shinsengumi."

Chizuru was the first to speak. "Sen... Thank you Sen, but..."

"Is there a reason you wish to stay?

"...Yeah."

"Oh my... One of those gentlemen, perhaps?"

"Wh-What?!...Yeah."

Chizuru was in love with one of the captains? I wonder who."

"...I see. What about you, Haruna."

Both Sen and Chizuru turned to me and looked at me in the eyes. They wanted to know my answer. I took a deep breath and spoke.

"Although you are not the Princess Yase of my time period, you are still her descendant and I cannot ignore that. It is the duty of the Suzumori clan to forever protect the Yase and that is what I plan to do."

I bowed low to Sen once again and stayed for a few moments before lifting my head. As I looked up to see their faces, Sen was smiling but Chizuru on the other hand looked shocked and on the verge of tears. I felt bad for betraying the Shinsengumi but I am the last of my clan. I need to protect my name.

"Thank you for you understanding, Haruna. We will leave as soon as possible. Chizuru, knowing that being the case, I couldn't possibly tell you to leave."

"Haruna, why are you leaving?! Don't you want to stay with the Shinsengumi?" 

I looked into Chizuru's eyes. They were glistening with tears of sadness. I felt bad but I have to.

"Chizuru, I am part of the Suzumori clan. My duty is to protect the Princess Yase-"

"But she has Kimigiku!"

"Still, this is was how I was raised Chizuru. My duty comes before my emotions."

This sentence reminded me of Saito a bit. He almost said the same thing. "My ambitions come before my emotions." I would miss him.

"...I understand."

"Thank you for waiting."

The common room was just as we'd left it and every head swiveled to look at us as we stepped back in. It didn't look as though they tried to kill each other in our absence, which was something of a relief.

"Have you reached a decision?"

Before I could speak, Sen stepped forward. "After some discussion, we have decided. Chizuru has chosen to stay with the Shinsengumi. Haruna has decided to leave with us."

"What?!"

The people of the Shinsengumi were shocked. Some of them even stood up upon hearing the last part of her sentence.

"Haruna! Do you not trust us?!" yelled Nagakura. I could tell he was hurt and angry.

"It's not that I don't trust all of you to protect me. I am part of the Suzumori clan. Like I have said before, it was our duty to protect the Princess Yase. My master has changed but that doesn't effect my decision."

I needed to stay decisive. If I waver, then how will can I leave?

"Guys, calm down." Kondou's voice was his usual calm tone but there was a hint of sadness in it. "It was her decision. We should all respect it."

With that sentence, the room became quiet again and I went off to pack my belongings after bowing to him. I didn't have much to pack to be honest. Just the clothes I wore when I was in the future and that was practically it. Sen and Kimigiku were waiting by the entrance of the temple.

"Princess Yase, could I say my farewells before we leave?"

"Sure, why not? We'll wait."

Bowing to her I walked back into the common room and said my goodbyes. They all wished my well except for one. Okita. "I don't ever want to see your face again." He glared at me when he said this. I couldn't blame him. I had betrayed him and the entire Shinsengumi. I am leaving the Shinsengumi.