Chapter 17

Note- I am finally back after one week and will be able to start updating once again. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience for those who read this story and interruption of it. I plan to get back on track once again. Thank you very much. >~<

~Why not listen to music while you read?~

Itou's thin smile had spread across his face when Sanan voiced his objection to Hijikata's plan, and now he turned to speak.

"You always think of all the possibilities, Sanan. I am impressed, but I fear you may be over-thinking this. It could be a problem, yes, but..."

His tone doesn't match his words at all, I thought while crossing my arms. I wonder what will happen to him though. I do recognize his name so he must be important right?

"...Don't you think a slightly greater problem would be that your left arm is utterly useless?"

This guy! He literally just shoved a ton of salt into the wound! And with that sentence, the warmth that remained in the room completely vanished.

"Of course, you needn't be useless, even if you can no longer serve as a soldier. I'm sure your wit and foresight will continue to be a great asset to the Shinsengumi and myself."

I saw Sanan's shoulder's sag, almost as if he had been punched in the stomach, and all around the room, jaws were set and knuckles were turned white.

"Perhaps I didn't hear you right, Itou." 

Hijikata's voice was cold and sharp, like the sound of a blade sliding across a whetstone.

"Sanan's smart, like you said, but more than that, he's a swordsmen of the Shinsengumi. He is not useless and he is not replaceable!"

Hijikata's last words erupted from his mouth in a snarl, and there was no mistaking their meaning.

"But my arm is..."

He couldn't even seem to bring himself to finish. To be honest, I really tried hard not to pity him. Knowing Sanan, he would not want to be pitied but how could you not? If this was the 21st century, would Sanan be suffering like this? Would he have been able to use his arm again?

"Oh dear, That was teribly rude of me. Truly, there could be no better news than hearing that your arm has healed." Itou's smile fooled no one, and Sanan fell silent.

"Ah...um...Itou." Kondou was clearly choosing his words carefully, in a very desperate attempt to change the subject. "If...if you would care to, perhaps you might come and have a look at our training regimen?"

Itou's eyes narrowed, and his mouth curled in a small smile.

"My...how thoughtful of you. Yes, of course, I would love to have a look! Ah, the training room! Air heavy with the sweat of men straining to better themselves... Truly a delight!"

"The sweat of men...? Yes, I suppose you do have a point. The training room has grown rather musty..."

Itou is a snake, a very annoying snake that I want to bash on the head. The two men left the room, chatting together as if nothing was wrong, and all the eyes turned toward Sanan.

"Sanan... Don't listen to that ass, okay?" Nagakura said in an effort to try and cheer Sanan up a little.

"..."

Sanan said nothing. He stood up silently, and left the room.

"Man, I feel bad for him... Even the men are avoiding him these days.

Chizuru seemed surprised but I on the other hand have already noticed this. Ever since his injury, he had become more...what's the word...moody? It's not a strong word but he definitely had a personality change, a negative one that was making others become distanced from him.

"Well, he's kinda been  jerk lately. I imagine that's why." Nagakura summed for Chizuru.

"He wasn't always like that, you know. Back in the day, he was always acting like he was looking out for everybody."

Yeah, that's true. When I first came to the Shinsengumi, Sanan treated me nicely, even if it was just on the surface. Sadly, there is nothing left of that now.