𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒🤍

—time skip to dinner—

Jacks POV-

I knew I had to look my best for the governor's family. I put on a fresh white blouse, a white and gold vest overtop of it, paired with a pair of white pants to match. Topping the outfit off with some white gloves. I looked over my shoulder and saw Fagin sat there in silence, glaring at me. 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒃𝒍𝒆𝒎? you though to yourself as Fagin continued to look at the stuff on my messy desk. I yanked the hairbrush from the drawer and brushed my hair, making it look neat and tidy, but still a bit messy. "Fagin, I'll be gone for a while at dinner, do not leave this room, understand me?" like usual, Fagin rolled his eyes at me and nodded. I rolled my eyes at him too, returning the favour and then made my way out of the hospital and to the governor's house. As i arrived, i was greeted by their maid and was taken into the dining room. I was told that my seat was next to Lady Y/n. I smirked, to myself of course. I made eye contact with Lady Belle, she looked gorgeous, then walking up behind her was Y/n, looking beautiful, as always. They were all very pretty, all three of them. I shook the governor's hand and went to sit down in my seat next to Y/n. She smiled at me and i bowed, it's like our thing now. Once everyone was sat down, the conversations started. "well, Dr Dawkins, where are you from originally?" Belle asked, making me smile. "well originally i'm from London." I said, cutting up my food and eating it. "we are from London too!" i heard Fanny say. I laughed at how much excitement she had said that with. After a few more questions, it was time for drinks. We all walked into the sitting room opposite the hall and sat down on the sofas. Y/n and Belle sat on the other sofa beside me and i couldn't stop staring at the beautiful views.

Y/n's POV-

I caught Jack staring, i laughed but soon realised, he wasn't staring at me, he was staring at Belle. I felt my heart being shattered into a million pieces. 𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝑰 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒊𝒆𝒅 𝒎𝒆. i thought to myself. Snapping myself back into reality, I couldn't stand being in the same room as him. "Mother, i'm ever so sorry, but my leg is aching, may i be excused to go and rest?" i said, holding tears in my eyes. "Do you want me to help you upstairs?" Jack offered but i ignored him, standing up and walking upstairs, not bothering waiting for an answer from my mother or father. Once i got up the staircase and into my bedroom, i locked my door, and let the tears fall. They came flooding down my face. I took off my dress and put on my pyjamas, getting into bed and bawling onto my pillow. Eventually, i fell asleep and dreamt nothing, absolutely nothing. I felt empty inside. I felt like my heart had been stomped on. I felt angry at myself for believing he actually liked me. wow. what an idiot i am.

—time skip to the morning—

i wake up, feeling just as embarrassed as i did yesterday. Looking at the clock, i realised it was only 7:22pm so Jack would still be downstairs. You rolled your eyes and stood up and placing your dress back on, unlocked your door and walked downstairs and into the sitting room. Immediately, seeing Belle and Jack sat together laughing, Sneed and Fanny laughing and Mother and Father also laughing. You coughed, gaining there attention. Jack turned towards you seeing that you've been crying and his smile dropped into an ashamed look. "Oh hello there Jack." you said, shooting daggers at him with your eyes. "Hi Lady Y/n, are you okay?" he asked, you noticed he had a worried/concerned look on his face. "never better!" you said joyfully, throwing everyone there off guard. Meanwhile, you sat down next to your parents and made a statement that surprised them all. "i want to get married, as soon as possible." you said while fidgeting with your fingers and after a while without an answer, you looked up at everyone. Jack looked disappointed, which annoyed me entirely. Sneed and Fanny was looking at each other in surprise, Belle was quietly laughing to herself and my parents were whispering to each other. "so?" you said, wanting confirmation. "yes okay, we will invite some men from other countries to come and meet with you dear." my father stated. I smiled and looked at Jack who was now looking down at his feet, and it made you happy and proud of yourself. "Anyways, Dr Dawkins, Sneed, sorry to rush you out but we need to clear up and the girls need to get to sleep." My mother told them while standing up and leading them to the front door. "Goodbye Ladies, i will see you soon." Sneed bowed and walked outside and then it was time for Jacks goodbye. One that i had been waiting for all night. "Goodnight, I hope to see you all soon." He also bowed and followed Sneed outside. Almost instantly, i turned around and went upstairs and locked my door again. But this time, i wasn't alone in my room. Standing there. Facing me. Was Jack Dawkins. Leaning on my window sill.