Prologue

"Cursed is the man who dies, but the evil done by him survives."-Abu Bakr

This is a forbidden story. A story that the Wizarding World dares not talk about. Even in Harry Potter's time, this story was never brought to light.

BUT IT MUST BE TOLD.

Prologue

The story you are about to read contains love and friendship, but also trauma and horrors. Two years have passed since the events of Lyra's fifth year at Hogwarts. Two years since she destroyed Ranrok and contained the magic of the repository. Since then her praises never seemed to stop being sung. The Headmaster even had a portrait of her hung in the grand staircase. That way every student could see who the Champion of Hogwarts was and what she fought for. But, what the students will never know is what she really fought for. Yes, she fought for the school. The school that welcomed her so warmly. She fought for the students and faculty, the civilians in the lands, and beyond. But in her eyes, she saved the most important people in her life.

Her family.

There was Poppy. Kind, sweet Poppy. From the quiet, curious school girl she was in her fifth year, was now a confident, even more curious young woman. Lyra and Poppy did end up getting that butterbeer with Highwing after their quest to save the Snidgets, but not at Honeydukes. They rode on Highwing to the top of a tall mountain looking over all Hogwarts and had a nice picnic. Their friendship seemed that of old souls who found each other in another lifetime. Then there was Natty. Bold and daring. After their confrontation with Theopolis Harlow, Natty was even more determined to become a protector. She practiced every day with her magic, both with her wand and without as she could perform magic by herself. Once a week, Lyra and Natty would venture into caves nearby, standing up against the dark creatures that dwelled within. When Lyra needed advice, she often went to Ominus. He was cold, yet warm at the same time. He was very easy to converse with. He always knew what your feelings were even before you could say it. Some believe due to his blindness, it was a gift he was graced with in return for having no sight. He came from a dark childhood, but in that he never lost sight of his humanity. His compassion. He and Lyra grew slightly apart however. He never truly understood where her mind was when she casted Imperio on him. He entrusted her to try and sway Sebastian off his quest to cure Anne, but instead only motivating Sebastian more. How could he, though? Ominous wasn't Lyra. Lyra was, and still is in love with Sebastian Sallow. Her rock. Her happiness. Her love. All the good parts. It was after their last meeting, post Solomon, when they spent more time together. Anne was gone, Lyra had lost Figg. They both didn't want to be alone. And in their time together, a flame lit and kept growing and growing. For every day they spent in each other's company, they did not think of the troubles that ailed them. Every night after dinner in the Great Hall, Lyra and Sebastian would sneak off to the Covered Bridge and stare off into the distance of the night, holding one another, kissing one another. Their passion for one another was riveting. From time to time however, Sebastian would go into a state of sadness, where his mind would drift to his poor sister, whom he had not seen in almost two years. Anne would write to Sebastian from time to time over the years. She never forgave Sebastian for what he did, but she also knew he was her brother and she could not push him away forever. She still dealt with the curse on her. Luckily she came by an old witch in the Scottish Highlands who had given her a necklace that allows the curse to not affect her. Still, she wishes she didn't have to wear protection. She wanted to be free. Sebastian asked from time to time in his letters to her if she would return. Each time he asked, it seemed as if she ignored the question all together, not mentioning anything in her writing. It pained Sebastian that his sister still did not want to see him, but he understood. With Lyra, Ominous, and the others, he knew he'd be ok. This was their seventh and final year. They would all make the most of it. After all, what final year would it be without a terrifying adventure?