Chapter 13 - Sister secrets

Harumi's POV

The second I agreed that I would tell Meher about my past, I regretted it. What would she think of me? Would she even want to be my sister anymore? How was I going to explain everything? I started sweating profusely and my breaths became quick and shallow. I was screaming inside.

"Rumi, you got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out of it again." I gave myself a mini pep-talk, trying (and failing miserably) to calm my pounding heart.

"Um, well, u-u-uh I don't really know how to explain," I stammered.

"Start at the beginning," Meher replied.

"Ok, so after a few years we thought you were 'dead' and we had finished grieving and were happy but that didn't last long. The city was attacked by the Great Devourer and our parents saved me but. . . couldn't save themselves. . ."

I heard a small gasp escape Meher's lips. I could see her being said she was an orphan was a bit shocking. She nodded at me as if to say 'carry on'. Must be a sister thing.

"I was adopted by the Emperor and Empress of Ninjago, making me a princess. I wasn't happy. I hated it there. I blamed the Ninja for the death of our parents. I blamed them for not stopping the Great Devourer."

Meher gave me the 'really?' look.

I gave her the 'I was angry' look.

"I started. . . plotting my revenge." I shuddered at my past but carried on, "I brought together the Sons of Garmadon. . . killed my adoptive parents and lied and betrayed the ninja," I linked my eyes with Lloyd.

"It's OK," he mouthed at me.

I shot him a quick smile and carried on, "Then, I . . .I resurrected Lord Garmadon," I said, unable to look Meher in the eyes. "But then I ended up dying in the process. After that, I got resurrected by. . .someone," (If I told her it was the overlord Meher would realise I would be responsible for Millie's death.) "He said if I served him I could live. I didn't want to serve him but I didn't want to die either so I agreed. The city was attacked yet again, and I really am sorry. I completely regret all of that."

The silence from Meher was killing and I finally plucked up the courage to look at her.

"Just one question," Meher finally said standing up, "Who resurrected you?"

I paused for a moment until finally whispering, "The Overlord,"

"So, let me get this straight. Our parents are. . . dead," Her voice cracked as she

said,"but then why didn't you tell me before?"

"I thought you were too young," I whimpered.

"How old were you when they died?"

"Nine."

"And you thought I wasn't old enough, I am 14!"

"It's just a protective big sister thing," My voice trembled as I said it, knowing

how pathetic of an excuse that was.

"Okaaay then you killed your adoptive parents; betrayed and hurt the Ninja, especially Lloyd; resurrected Garmadon and served the overlord so you

wouldn't die," Meher said.

I didn't like the way she said you. It was silent for a moment again. But then Meher opened her mouth to say something.

"How could you?" she whispered.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"I said, HOW COULD YOU!?"

I was slightly taken aback by her shouting. Knowing her temper had set off.

"Meher please calm down,"

"Calm down? CALM DOWN? YOU! I JUST FOUND OUT MY SISTER HURT HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, MURDERED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE! AND YOU ARE ASKING ME TO CALM DOWN?"

I winced slightly at her words.

"I know and I am sorry."

"SORRY DOESN'T FIX IT, SORRY DOESN'T BRING THEM BACK. IT DOESN'T HEAL THE WOUNDS YOU CAUSED!"

"I know but I can't change the past,"

"YOU SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT BEFORE YOU DECIDED TO GATHER AN EVIL VILLAIN GROUP! MILLIE IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU. THE PERSON WHO HELPED ME IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU . THE PERSON WHO CARED FOR ME AND RAISED ME IS DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU."

"I know and I am sorry but after losing you and my parents it was beyond hard."

"THERE ARE SO MANY ORPHANS OUT THERE AND YOU DON'T SEE THEM ATTACKING THE CITY, YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN GRATEFUL THAT YOU GOT ADOPTED. JUST BECAUSE THEY AREN'T YOUR REAL PARENTS DOESN'T MEAN THEY DON'T CARE FOR YOU, JUST BECAUSE THE NINJA DIDN'T SAVE OUR PARENTS DOESN'T MEAN THEY DIDN'T SAVE OTHER PEOPLE

"I know I was just. . .angry,"

"OH YEAH YOU WERE ANGRY, BLINDED BY ANGER IN FACT. INNOCENT CHILDREN AND PEOPLE ARE GONE AND HURT JUST BECAUSE OF YOUR EMOTIONS! THERE ARE PROBABLY SO MANY PEOPLE STILL RECOVERING BECAUSE OF HOW SELFISH YOU WERE! YOU DIDN'T EVEN STOP TO THINK ONCE ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE AFFECTED. I SPENT MY ENTIRE LIFE LOOKING FOR YOU TO FIND WHAT? A SISTER WHO LIED TO ME. HURT AND MURDERED SO MANY PEOPLE INCLUDING MILLIE. AND I WILL NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, FORGIVE YOU!"

She paused for a minute before saying, "I wish I had never wasted my time looking for you," those words cut through me like a knife. I know she didn't mean them but they still hurt. They hurt so bad. Especially after losing her, my parents and having such a traumatic past I hate to look back to. Words can hurt. They can hurt so bad.

Meher stormed off in anger and sat herself in the far corner of the cage. I cried on Lloyd's shoulder for what seemed like an eternity. Then he whispered to me,"

Don't worry Rumi, I managed to forgive you and I am sure she will too."

But will she?