Chapter 15 - Home

Nya's POV

We arrived back at the monastery yesterday and (as we were exhausted) slept for 12 hours straight. I was feeling great except for one thing: the others should have been back by now. I might as well try and track them. I headed up to the control room and the screen awakened, greeting me with a warning symbol that made my stomach twist.

"That's strange," I said to myself. I typed in the password and it came up with footage 2 days ago of wait. . .what is Zane saying that is Sora? The clip ended and I was left in shock that it wasn't sora?

"ZANE!" I shouted with urgency seeping into my voice "GET THE OTHERS!"

*****************************

A few minutes later everyone gathered tension filling the air

"Wait, you're telling me from the past few days that my best friend is gone and someone else has been pretending to be her?"his voice full of disbelief

"What did you think happened in the video Arin?"I sighed, trying to hold it together despite the whirlwind of emotions crashing through me.

"Who is this Sora," Jay asked confuzzled

"A friend . . .and lloyd's trainee," I replied

"Noted," he said, though I could tell he was still trying to process everything.

Just then, a knock at the door echoed through the room. My heart leaped. Could it be? Were they finally back? I rushed to the door, my nerves on edge, and threw it open. Relief washed over me as I saw them—alive and okay. But my relief was short-lived.

"Nya for the last time we're fine," Lloyd groaned, rubbing the back of his neck, clearly exasperated.

"HOW DID I KNOW THAT? If you said you were coming back yesterday and you arrived a DAY late, how was I supposed to know that you weren't dead." I noticed Harumi flinch out of the corner of my eye, but I brushed it off for the moment.

I turned to Kai and Harumi.

"Where's Meher?" I asked

Harumi opened her mouth, as if to say something, but no words came out. She simply closed her mouth and lowered her head, her eyes downcast.

Kai glanced at her, then back at me. His voice was surprisingly quiet, almost as if he didn't want to say the words. "How about we go inside? We need to talk."

                                                              ******************************

The weight of what they'd just told me hung in the air like a dark cloud. Meher was gone. I couldn't believe it. None of us could.

"She's gone?" Cole said

I looked at Harumi, her face pale and strained. My heart ached for her. Without another thought, I walked over and pulled her into a hug. "If you need to talk, Harumi, I'm here," I whispered.

"And me," Lloyd said softly, stepping up beside her.

"And me," Arin added,"Everyone else chimed in, nodding their agreement.

Where are you Sora? I thought to myself.

                                                ***********************

Meher's POV

Help. . .

Please... Someone had to hear me. I wasn't gone just yet. . .