Chapter 2: First Day

POV Nicholas

It has already been a week since we moved into our new house, and tomorrow is September 9th, also known as the first day of school.

Unlike Anne, who is excited about the idea of moving to a new school and starting high school, I feel the opposite. It's not as if there was anyone I particularly liked or felt attached to back in Philadelphia, but I have just never liked change.

Plus, this past week has been all about what our little girl would want or need for high school. So it's pretty hard to be excited when you're completely invisible. Well, at least I got a new car with the condition of being my sister's driver. I guess I should be happy the brat can't drive yet.

It's funny how everything is about what Anne wants and needs. Honestly, this whole move was for her. My father may say that he got promoted, but the truth is that the minute Anne suddenly wanted to pursue art as a career, they looked for the best high school for her. That's when an old friend of the family recommended Westville High, one of the best high schools.

One may ask if there are no good schools in Philadelphia, but according to my mother, their little girl needs only the best, and here we are, attending an overpriced preppy school. But unlike Anne, for whom my parents pulled every string in the book to get her into the art since she lacked the skills to be in the program, I had to spend my whole summer working on a portfolio to get a music program scholarship since we had to go to the same school, but my parents just didn't have the money to pay for my fees.

I was fortunate that they even considered my application for admission to the school, as they typically only accept new students during their freshman year. I suppose my background in music may have contributed to their decision. However, I find myself enrolled in a school that does not align with my interests.

As I lay there on my bed, thinking about how the next two years of high school would be, I turned to the right to see my alarm clock read 12:01 a.m. Summer is truly over, I thought as I lifted myself up in bed. My hand opened the drawer on my side table and felt around inside before pulling out the two things.

I got out of bed and walked toward the window as I remembered the conversation with my parents.

"You can't stay in this room; it's for guests," my mother says, giving me a pointed look.

"It's the only other room," I reply, trying to blink the sleep away, considering they rushed into my room ten minutes after I woke from my nightmare.

"Your room is the attic," she spits out.

"Why can't I stay here?" I let out in frustration, forgetting myself.

"Did you talk back to your mother, boy?" My father hisses out with his jaw clenched, one hand raised.

I gulp before quickly speaking. "I'm sorry; I wasn't thinking."

"Damn right, you weren't," he says slowly, bringing down his hand but still piercing me with his eyes.

"I will go to the attic, s-sir," I say, feeling the anger boiling inside me, but I know saying what I want would only result in me receiving a bruise or two.

With that, they leave the guest room, and I can finally relax a bit.

"I shouldn't think about useless things," I mumbled as I slowly pushed open the window that led to the balcony. Apparently, it's a thing for some houses to have balcony windows in the attic. I honestly thought this place would be terrible, but there's a bathroom up here, and I have a makeshift walk-in closet. Plus, I don't have to deal with anyone while I'm up here.