JUST SO (song demo)

[The recording is muffled and aged, with occasional dips. It begins with FRANK muttering to himself.]

FRANK: Let's see now.. right over left, under and through, fold on THIS side, down, up and around, pass it through and PULL- there! A perfectly tied Croquet Tie.

[Frank's door swing open. JULIE enters, excited and a little wound up.]

JULIE: Fraaank! Frank!!!

FRANK: Hm? Oh, Hi, Julie- come on in.

[Julie scampers inside, door closing.]

JULIE: Fraaaank, we're almost ready to start Hula Hoop BOWLING Croquet!

FRANK: I know Julie, it's just- wait. Bowling? You can't just keep putting 'bowling' in other games, Julie. Remember Bowling Basketball?

JULIE: I sure do! You got mad because Barnaby kept winning.

FRANK: Well, now I have to change.

JULIE: What! Why?!

FRANK: Because now I'm in the wrong bowtie. You're in your bowling dress, I can't show up in my croquet bowtie.

JULIE: Ohhh, does it really matter?

FRANK: Of course it matters!

JULIE: Well... Why?

FRANK: It... just wouldn't be right. It's like- well take our games for example. It wouldn't be fun if there weren't rules, right?

[JULIE gasps with delight.]

JULIE: It COULD be.

FRANK: No, no, no, remember what happened when you tried playing 'Hopscotch To The Max'?

JULIE: I do-ooo.

FRANK: It took us an hour to get you down off Howdys roof, and we still don't know where the green chalk went...

JULIE: I still won!

FRANK: So you say. But it wasn't fun for me.

JULIE: Oh, that's true. You were pretty grumpy, even though you DID help me get all the leaves out of my hair.

FRANK: Exactly. I like it when there's rules. I like knowing what I'm supposed to be doing. I like it when things are... organized, or. Done right. When things are so... when they're just.... just...

JULIE: Just... so?

FRANK: Yes! Just so!

[The audio breaks down for a few seconds, with strange noises and a laugh audible, before the recording is fixed and Frank begins singing.]

FRANK: Like the way I tie my bow tie- just so!

JULIE: Oh!

FRANK: I know how to tie the loop around, and exactly how to pull!

JULIE: Or like the way you keep your garden all in rows!

FRANK: Yes! That way I always know, where each plant will grow.

JULIE: I think I get it now! [Increasingly quick and off-meter] You just like everything neat, and tidy, and sure, and careful, and organized in a row, like a bow- just so!!

FRANK: Right! ...Sort of. So if you'll just give me a moment, I can find the RIGHT bowtie, and-

[There's a knock at the door, oddly slow and non-rhythmic.]

FRANK: Oh for the love of-

JULIE: I'll get it!

[The door opens.]