10. BREAKEVEN

September 20th 5:00 pm

   SPENCER

     Walking into Frost Top the three of them sit at a booth by the windows so they could look outside. Lycus headed to the counter to order their usual while Hayley and Spencer stayed at the table. "Are you okay girl?" Facing her, Spencer sees Hayley staring at her intently.
    She sighed, "Kai just really irritated me today..he was being an ass but not a complete ass." Hayley shook her head at her and rubbed her shoulder, "What happened?" She asked her best friend whose face screamed flustered. Shrugging her shoulder Spencer crossed her arms, "The staring at me, being weird about Aaron, poking fun at me, what doesn't happen?" She laughed at her response, "I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh. But well, you two have been like this since day one. Did you forget you have punched the guy? What did you expect?"

    Abruptly, Lycus set their milkshakes down onto the booth table. Shaking Spencer out of her thoughts she grabs one and takes a sip from it, "Mhm.. so good." The two of them nodded In agreement with her.
   "So what were you two talking about?" Swirling her straw around her cup Spencer answered, "Ashford being an ass." Lycus stopped drinking his milkshake and raised and eyebrow at her, "I've been telling you that for a while now Spence."

    Sighing she went back to her milkshake. Lycus means well but he can also irritate Spencer. Though she really does not blame Lycus for his distaste of Kai. He has hated him since his Halloween party.
    Listening to the jukebox as it began to start up she hummed along to the song playing. There's nothing she wanted more than to be home right now, but every Friday they come here. Spencer was about 70% sure her friends would be so mad if she canceled just on account of being butthurt.
     "Can we talk about anything but him please? I got too much on my plate right now for him." She pleaded as she finished her milkshake first. "No complaints from me!" Lycus pipped up, causing Hayley to as well.

    "Spence is right! We have to start applying to colleges soon. This is senior year." Spencer groaned at the thought of doing that. That was the only other topic she had no interest in participating in. College had slipped her mind almost entirely.
    "Aw fuck, you're right." Hayley reached across the table and rubbed her head. "It'll be okay dear friend." Placing her head down onto the table she groaned once more. "I need to focus on theatre, applying to colleges, and getting into college. That's all."
    Lycus and Hayley looked at each other than back at her. Lifting her head up she noticed them staring at her. "What?" She gave them a puzzled face. "Calm down it's the start of the year." Lycus told her plainly.

    Rolling her eyes she gets up from her side of the booth, "I have to get into a good theatre school. You know that." She told the both of them as she grabbed her bag from the booth. Not many things set Spencer off, but both of her friends knew she had to get into a good theatre school. It was the most important goal for her right now. "Spence, don't go." Hayley pleaded.
    "I'll be good to walk home, I'll text you when I make it. Bye guys." She said as she walked towards the door. She could feel tears begin to form at her eyes. From behind me she could hear Hayley getting onto Lycus.

   "Owe! Why did you hit me?" Lycus exclaimed rubbing his arm. "Nice one, you made her leave."

    Shutting the door to Frost Top behind her she takes one last look at them. They're both sitting there upset now. She should've known to just go home after Algebra 2. Why did Kai have to move here? Why Kentwood? Meeting Kai Ashford has completely jumbled her life and she is not okay with that in the slightest.
    Walking through town wasn't her favorite thing to do in the world but she had to get out of there immediately. Her eyes scanned my surroundings, seeing people walking around doing their own thing makes me wonder. Her emotions were everywhere, first with Kai and now at Lycus and Hayley? She was not sure why she was flashing out on everyone. Her head and heart were hurting.