Chapter 6 - Outbreak

Monday – April 2nd 2007

Bainbridge Island High School, Bainbridge Island

The chaos in the high school's nurse's office had me turning tail, and running off, as this has certainly gone from bad to worse! To save my own self, I needed to escape before I become infected and changed back into a woman -- which would most likely undo the spell of illusion cast over me.

At first, I thought the disease had only targeted Arden like a curse, then it jumped to Brice and then Principal Blackburn. And now it had infected Dr. Aflatooni, who was female! This virus had no limits! It was behaving just like Eileen's enchantment!

I may not be infected right now...but I have lived through COVID to learn that even being close to an epidemic can be equally fatal! My mission here at Bainbridge Island High School was over! I will have nothing to do with his otherworldly sorcery! Without even my most basic shield magic, I was useless and exposed!

'This constructs body is shaped to be a human male...so, can I still be infected?' as I didn't want to take any chances.

To Mr. Malkovich's room, I looked for my backpack which had my cellphone hidden away. My backpack, however, was gone! So, my phone was also gone too! I have no means of calling mom or asking for help! I was now on my own!

~~~

Outside, Kaito, Sam and Harrison lingered long enough as they turned to go. No sense in staying in the shadow of the school when school was out! Kaito stands beside Harrison as his coughing was getting pretty bad.

"Well..." Harrison comments, wheezing "...I'm going to head home before the school changes their mind. I wouldn't want to get you or Sam sick!" as Harrison was feeling crummy.

"Sure thing!" Kaito comments "Get better dude!" Sam was looking around as Kaito turns to the young Irish boy, asking "So, have you seen my stepbrother anywhere? I'm getting worried about him! He's never late! It's usually him waiting for me!"

"He was in Mr. Malkovich's chemistry class with Arden, but I have not seen either of them!" Sam thinks about all the weird things that were happening to Arden just this morning, wondering if it was a coincidence that the school was rapidly evacuated -- and not dismissed!

'God! I hope they didn't do anything stupid!' Sam worries, glancing over at Kaito, offering a possible reason.

"Maybe they already headed home!"

"No, he knows the rules!" Kaito answers, shaking his head. "Mom would kill him if he walked home alone. Including me! No, something isn't right!"

"Maybe we should go look for him inside." Sam offered, motioning to the barred off school. They watched as first responders were blocking the exits and police were rolling out yellow 'Police Line: Do Not Cross' tape.

~~~

Hurrying through the hallway, I noticed that the school was being locked down. I hurried to the front door as I saw both Kaito and Sam waiting outside of the school. Sam was leading Kaito back towards the school as I needed them to run away.

"Sam! Kai!" I yelled, escaping past the crime tape as the police had left the exit wide open. They did not expect anyone to be that stupid to literally 'walk out the front door!' I ran to them as I managed to keep them away from the school.

"Hey!" Sam calls back "There you are, we were just talking about you!"

"Heard anything about what's going on, little brother?" Kaito asks as the ambulances rapidly roll into the parking lot "What's with all the ambulances?"