Chapter 1 - A New Mission

Friday – March 30th 2007

Ocean City, Washington

Walking down the hallway, the scent of 'school-food' teases my senses as lunch was awaiting.

I adjusted the padded straps of my backpack, filled with my heavy literature books as I walked calmly through a bustling chaotic hallway. I kept my presence down to a minimal as I flowed with the current of human bodies down to the cafeteria.

I was dressed in my cute school uniform: My top was a button-down white wrinkle-free blouse with a V-neck cut. The sleeves were elbow length with a light aqua-blue trim that mom had stitched on just this morning. This blue trim identifies me as an Aos Si to the other staff, as humans do not have this trim upon their own shirt.

Down below, my navy-blue pleated skirt always touched my knees, as for any higher and it would get me a stiff uniform violation placed on your record. It was frilly, so it always looked wavy like a stormy ocean and not straight and flat like a windless sea. This design was specifically chosen to lessen the 'sex appeal' that a skirt might have with a developed woman in her 12th year of school.

Over my dress shirt, I wear an ocean-blue vest that was designed to only button at the bottom as it was designed to allow the girl's body to develop within its design. On the left side of the vest is the school's patch.

The patch is a circular wave with three mermaids frolicking in the current

The patch is a circular wave with three mermaids frolicking in the current. Six koi-like fish swims with the mermaids as they all seem to border in a schooner ship sailing into Grays Harbor.

Above the image was three words that spell out: North Beach Montessori, my school. Below the image was three more words printed in black: Ocean Shores, WA.

North Beach was a mixture of both Aos Si and Humans...living in harmony in the small coastal town of Ocean Shores, Washington. We all lived in secrecy from the mortal world's awareness, hiding from all who might not be ready to see us. 

I grabbed my plastic lunch tray as I patiently waited in line to get my state issued lunch. I flipped open my textbook that I was carrying as it was a book on Shield Magic...a subject that I have been studying for the last month. Most of it was written in a gibberish-like language, but to my eyes: This was Mermish.

'...another reminder that I am no longer human!' I smiled, reading about the basics of water shields 'Hard to believe that I am now a mermaid! Or that I had just saved the entire world from doomsday!'

***

"Guid efternuin, Caitlynn, mo leanbh." says the lunch lady as I closed my book, smiling at her lovely rosy face. Her wavy long red hair was glowing just like a summer's fire.