Chapter 9: Best-Friend Date

Lena's POV

"Have you gone soft?" Alex basically screams at me on the phone.
"Please, shut up." I answer angrily, but knowing she wasn't wrong. "I don't think we'll go on that stupid date, anyway... She's my student and I don't even know why I said yes."

"It's because you like her, for god's sake. You've been rambling about her for over an hour."

I check my phone. We've been on call for an hour and fifteen minutes. Well, I called her instantly after entering my apartment. It's been a while since we've talked and even though it was weird to think about her and my sister getting together and spending more time, I missed my best friend.

"I've been rambling about the dilemma I'm facing, not her!"

"Whatever you say. I just think you're looking too much into it."

The delivery guy rings my doorbell and I make my way to my purse then to the door. I couldn't bring myself to make food, tonight as I was exhausted. I regret not calling Ellie in for the week. The work load was immense and her help was most welcome but I had to be idiotic and for what?

"I can lose my job, Alex. So, I think I need to think about it."

"It's not like you don't have-"

"My parents are well-off, not me, Alex."

"Well, I have some news and I don't know if you want to hear it." I hear her say on the other end of the line. 

"If it's about Chloe and you getting together, then yeah, you're right, I don't want to talk about it." I scoff jokingly. Even I, have limits when it comes to Chloe. She's my baby sister, after all and as devilish as a little sister can be, I treasure her immensely.

"That's cute..." Alex says. "It's about ...you know who."

"You're right. I don't want to hear it."

"But it's-."

"End of discussion. I've set my boundaries. I don't want to hear of her crap." 

I try not to scream at the phone but I fail miserably. For a moment, Alex stays silent. I know she didn't mean to make me angry but when it comes to that specific subject, everything becomes provoking, even the slightest hint makes me inapprochable. I know what she was going to tell me. She was going to tell me that she, more specifically, you-know-who was getting married.
I already knew about it. I snooped on her socials last week when I was feeling sorry for myself.

"Well, alright. I'm sorry." Alex mumbles.

"No, it's fine. I'm sorry for yelling." I answer . "I know she's engaged. I just don't want to talk about it, at least for now."

"I won't make you. Do you want me to come over and watch a shitty movie? I know you already ordered pizza."

"Yeah sure, come over."

*****

When Alex makes an entrance, she makes sure you're ready to welcome her. She sends me message when she's at the door but still rings my doorbell a thousand times to piss me off. And when I open the door,  I find her, out of breath, squatting on the door step. Her finger was still pressing repeatedly on the button.

"Did you run up the stairs?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"Yup! The elevator made it before me though." She says pushing me out of her way and making it into the apartment. 

I was left picking up the stuff she brought with her. A lot of snacks, enough to keep us alive for months and three wine bottles, red, white and rosé. She knows I hate wine.