Chapter 8~ Expect the Undexpected (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)

Year 2941 of the third age
Month of Nórui (June)

Narrator POV

It had been two years since Melverìl had been in Imladris, she'd gone to Minas Tirith and Rohan training with her blades. Something told her she would be needing the skill soon.

She'd been on her way home when Gandalf sent word that he would be in Imladris in Nórui (June) and asked that she be there. That was six months ago. She had arrived just before him, it seemed as she heard quite the commotion at the gate just after she'd left. Turning around she went back towards the gate.

"Mithrandir!" She called from the top of the stairs. Glancing up the company of dwarves seemed lost for words. The maiden walking down the front steps clad in rangers garb, almost seemed to glow. In the opinion of all but one, she was beautiful. To the last she seemed to put Mithril itself to shame.

"Ahh, Melverìl my dear! How glad I am to see your lovely face again." Rosemary couldn't help but laugh. A melodic sound that could probably warm even the coldest of hearts. "Oh Idhren, a charmer as always. Though I do hope you told Adar to expect company" she teased. It was a well known fact in the valley, that Rosemary was the only one that Gandalf would alert to his visits, it seemed to amuse him when annoying her father. She too thought it was great fun.

None too soon, they heard the horn of a hunting party blow, and Melverìl knew her father was amongst them. Standing aside as the horses came in she watched as her father greeted their friend.

"Gandalf" He called out, acknowledging that he was there. "Lord Elrond." The Grey Pilgrim bowed deeply to his friend in respect. "Mellon nín! Ledhiach o man sad?" Elrond cast a glance about, spotting his daughter, he knew the vision she'd had two years past had come. Turning back to Mithrandir he responded "Mín've faras a pack -o orcs i tol- or- uin acharn. Mín dangen a gwanod nev i dolen aglon"

Dismounting from his horse he continued "Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone has drawn them near." He cast an accusatory eye to the wizard he'd come to call a great friend in the past hundred and twenty-four years. "Ah, yes. That may have been us" Gesturing to the rest of the company. Rosemary thought this was the perfect time to tease her friend and mentor again.

"Yes Adar, seeing as Mithrandir conveniently forgot to send word ahead of his arrival. Again..." Her amusement clear as day for anybody to hear. Elrond pursed his lips trying to fight the smile and laughter that wanted to escape him at his youngests jests. Clearing his throat he turned to the dwarves once more.

The dwarves had no idea what to make of this outspoken beauty. She did not appear to be an Elf, yet she called the Lord of Imladris "father". Perhaps a half-elf? All they knew was that there was more to her than a pretty face.

"Welcome Thorin, Son of Thráin" She heard him say. She could see one dwarf with a commanding presence, with deep lapis blue eyes stand towards the front once he'd been addressed.

"I do not believe we have met." Melverìl couldn't tell if he was deliberately rude, or just naturally abrasive. "You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thrór when he ruled under the mountain."

Their voices faded out as the youngest lady of Imladris fell deep into her mind. So, Erebor. She thought They're set to reclaim the lonely mountain. Rosemary made up her mind then and there, she would help the company and Gandalf as much as possible while they were here.