Chapter 15

ALANI CASTILLO
Charlotte, NC.

It's been one whole week since we dropped Miguel off at rehab. I have direct contact with the doctors at the facility so they've been updating me. He was a bit apprehensive at first but I called him and reminded him why he was going through all of this in the first place. Tomorrow, they'll be assigning him to a therapist to help with the depression. Speaking of Miguel's reason, I'm meeting with Rachael before I go back home. I'm hoping to get her to change her mind about filing for sole custody. I'm not gonna try and force her into anything but I hope she sees where I'm coming from.

After I parked my car in the driveway, I made my way to the front door. Rachael's house is cute, in a quiet neighbourhood. I knocked and a few seconds later she answered the door.

"Hey. Thanks for stopping by." She smiles softly before stepping aside to let me in.

"I heard M is in rehab now." Rachael said as we sat down in her living room. My dad probably told her.

"Straight to the point, huh?" I joked. Rachael only shook her head.

"I figured one of the Castillo siblings would come see me. I just wasn't expecting it to be you." She explains.

"Then you don't need me to sugarcoat anything. What Miguel put you through was fucked up and I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but I just want you to give him one more chance. You can monitor him after he gets home and it'll be your decision from there. Please don't give up on him now." I pleaded. "Miguel didn't really tell me much about why the two of you broke up."

"Mainly because he didn't want to grow up. He's 43 years old still living under his dad's roof. I thought he'd be more independent after we had Jasmine but nada. I just didn't want that life for myself so I told him I needed space. After a few weeks, I noticed he was struggling mentally, you know, with the fact he couldn't box professionally anymore. I tried to help then I seen he was getting into partying more. I mean, there's only so much rejection one person can take. He was late on child support payments so I took him to court." Jasmine explained. I could hear the pain in her voice. She's been with Miguel for years now and to watch someone you love hit rock bottom must've been hard.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all that. But you're not alone, just pick up the phone if you need anything." I suggested.

"I just hope he comes out a better man. Not for me, but for Jasmine."

"Would you get back with him?" I curiously asked.

Rachael smirked before turning the other way. "That all depends on him. If he's serious about improving then yeah, I'll be willing to give it another shot."

I shrugged. "I respect that."

"What about you and your babydaddy? I heard he's dating some D-List singer." Rachael says, making me almost choke on my saliva.

"Uhm, we're good. He's happy, so I'm happy." I replied vaguely. I didn't want to say too much. People have this nasty habit of seeing right through me.

"Things can change in a heartbeat, take it from me. If you think there's still a chance you might still love him, I say go for it. Life is too short."

I don't have to ponder on whether or not I love Wardell because I know I do. I just think it's wise to not get involved with him like that again. I don't want to do that to him but I can't help the way I feel. It's been hard trying not to cross the line, honestly.

"I can't do that to him. Not again and definitely not now. He's really happy with Kiana and I won't put him in a position where his character is questioned, again. I've learned my lesson." I say.