29| A shadow is Haunting Me!

Nishaan and I had planned to part ways by the college gate

Nishaan and I had planned to part ways by the college gate. But as we stepped out of the office, we noticed Maan and Samiksha deep in conversation. With a reassuring glance, I conveyed to Nishaan that it might be more prudent for me to go alone.

His expression held a hint of disappointment before closing the door, though perhaps it was for the best. As I moved toward the gate, Maan's gaze, subtle and inquisitive, found me. Our eyes met briefly before I quickly looked away. But then, my attention shifted to Samiksha, whose hungry stare bore into me like that of a wolf. The weight of both their gazes pressed against my back, leaving me feeling exposed and vulnerable.

Snakes lurking at Eve!

"That girl... I wonder what spell she's cast on my Nishaan." Samiksha mused, toying with the rings adorning her fingers.

"Her name's Roohi." Maan stated, his gaze following Roohi as she exited the college premises.

"Yeah! Whatever."

Samiksha's attention turned to Maan, noticing his gaze fixed on Roohi. Suspicion flickered in her eyes as she addressed him with a hint of accusation.

"Why aren't you suspending them? You've got evidence of their closeness, right? So, what's holding you back? Don't tell me your heart is still attached to your ex-best friend or his new lover?"

Maan's gaze burned with intensity as he addressed her.

"Will you please stop speaking? My ears bleed whenever I hear your corny voice. As for Nishaan, I can never forgive him for the pain he inflicted upon me."

"Then take action! Don't forget, it was me who informed you of his whereabouts and encouraged you to seek revenge rather than wallowing in despair in Canada. You aimed to shatter him, so go ahead."

She then whispered to herself.
"That way, I can offer comfort and secure my position in his heart once more."

"Stop making lame plans like yourself. My only intend is to break Nishaan, not to let him get back with you. But fear not, I've discovered the key to his heart. It's merely a matter of time before he breaks down in your arms, just as I did in front of him years ago." Maan grimaced, furrowing his brow as he glanced at her, but a secret smile played on his lips.

As soon as my bus pulled up, I snagged an empty window seat. Leaning back against the glass, I savored the evening breeze on my face, lost in memories of Nishaan, a soft smile gracing my lips. I heard a couple of aunties asking a guy to give up his seat, and the guy grudgingly complied. Meanwhile, a middle-aged man nearby couldn't seem to stop staring at me. Yet, I remained composed, my smile unwavering.

To hell with them! I just made out with my hot boyfriend.

Glancing at my phone, I noticed Nishaan's text, yet a wave of shyness held me back from replying right away. The prospect of waiting until I was home, luxuriating in a refreshing bath, and then composing my response felt more reassuring. I untangled my earphones and immersed myself in the frenzy wind that was swaying my face.